Default Three ignition coils killed in three weeks

A fellow racer called me Sunday and said his car has killed 3 MSD Blaster 2 coils in three weeks. Other than the standard check the wiring and grounds I really never have had problems with MSD stuff. Do any of you guys have a good trouble shooting guide or a good idea of what could be going on?

With what info is provided, you may want to check if it's too hot, where it's mounted. Heat kills electronics.

Next question? Are they breaking down or going dead? breaking down leads you to wiring and dead leads you to heat or vibration. Coils, usually are good, weak or dead, not part time good.

Had a deal with mounting right over a crossover header once, with no air flow. It was like putting them in a oven.

According to what I am told they die like a switch was thrown. No miss or stutter, just gone.

Which MSD box is he using? That blaster 2 coil can only be used with certain boxes. MSD has a chart on their website that shows coil/Ignition box compatibility. We used to use a 7al box and blew out a couple of those blaster2 coils before we realized the problem. It did just as you speak. It was running and then just like you turned it off. Replace it with another coil and it was a repeat. If he has the right box/coil combo then it may be a bad box. Hope this helps.
    http://www.msdignition.com/products/coils/
    Last edited by TWISTER; 08-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.

I was going to say that earlier , I don't think the blaster style coils are compatible with all of their boxes

Make sure they are mounted vertically also, they are oil filled and will ko themselves if mounted horizontally and oil is not full. I killed two and MSD told me that, so went to a different style msd that can be mounted in any direction.

You may also want to make sure he is using the black "vibration proof" coil. The cheaper red ones are primarily made for drag racing and will not withstand alot of vibration. We found this out the hard way. Go ahead and spend the extra money for the HVC coil.

Hot wire going to coil from MSD box was putting out 17 volts, MSD said "it's broke", replaced box.