Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Balanced: The five major factors of dirt late model handling

The latest blog post is up!

http://nextlevellatemodel.com/balanced/
    Owner/Blogger/Crash Test Dummy
    www.nextlevellatemodel.com

pretty good over view, only argument I would have would be concerning no. 4 , I would say that with the rt rear back and lft rear forward, the car would tend to slide toward the wall instead of track, heres my reasoning, I had a car one time that was nearly dialed in, but it was a little tight coming off the corner, and would push toward wall, I lengthened the right bars 3 rounds of static rear steer, this freed the car up enough that it would turn or track around corner but was not loose, maybe JMO.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    pretty good over view, only argument I would have would be concerning no. 4 , I would say that with the rt rear back and lft rear forward, the car would tend to slide toward the wall instead of track, heres my reasoning, I had a car one time that was nearly dialed in, but it was a little tight coming off the corner, and would push toward wall, I lengthened the right bars 3 rounds of static rear steer, this freed the car up enough that it would turn or track around corner but was not loose, maybe JMO.....
    Thanks man! Real world testing always trumps theory. I appreciate you sharing!

First, not sure I follow the issue with number 4 you are having. Isn't that what they are stating. Shorten LR, lengthen RR to create a looser feeling?

Second, adjusting static steer, what is preferred? Adjusting LR or RR? Talk to most drivers now seems like they like adjusting RR

"NOTE: This article is missing one major factor, tires, I’ve written a few articles on this subject already."

I agree, but would also have to include tires, L/R rear thrust angle and aerodynamics in major factors of DLM handling.

Quote Originally Posted by racefastnow View Post
    First, not sure I follow the issue with number 4 you are having. Isn't that what they are stating. Shorten LR, lengthen RR to create a looser feeling?

Second, adjusting static steer, what is preferred? Adjusting LR or RR? Talk to most drivers now seems like they like adjusting RR
    some still adjust both sides and I also use to, but I only use right side now, I think the reason is were able to control dynamic steer so much better now, you only have to make small static adjustments and yes steering the rear to the right does create a loose or freer feeling, but there is a difference between loose feeling and tracking, I may not have said it just right, but that's what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post
    "NOTE: This article is missing one major factor, tires, I’ve written a few articles on this subject already."

I agree, but would also have to include tires, L/R rear thrust angle and aerodynamics in major factors of DLM handling.
    Both of those definitely need to be in there. Do you think they fit under dynamic wheel loading?

Thanks!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettshurling View Post
    Both of those definitely need to be in there. Do you think they fit under dynamic wheel loading?

Thanks!
    I'd say all DLM handling falls under dynamic Tire loading!

Nice to see publication on DLM handling. Nice site.

.......don't give away any of the secret stuff!

DLM mag has been having good tech articles from Mark Bush.

This month he brought up the subject of changing trailing arm angles,top view, which you hardly hear anything about. I have been experimenting with them for about a year now and have found some small gains.

Not trying to take anything from your new site Garrett, just sharing some good info that's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post

This month he brought up the subject of changing trailing arm angles,top view, which you hardly hear anything about. I have been experimenting with them for about a year now and have found some small gains.

Not trying to take anything from your new site Garrett, just sharing some good info that's out there.
    Mark is great! I've been to his school twice!

The amount you toe in or angle to the center of the car at the chassis on the upper right bar can help handling in my experiance. The others seem to be best straight forward or slightly pointed to the right of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by hpmaster View Post
    The amount you toe in or angle to the center of the car at the chassis on the upper right bar can help handling in my experiance. The others seem to be best straight forward or slightly pointed to the right of the car.
    Yep....my driver said that tightened up his entry, which is what Mark said in the article.Toeing the lru in will give more hike up and drive.

Where was Mark a year ago when I was experimenting using the ol trial and error method! lol

He puts on several seminars in the off season every year. Rocket hosted the ones I've attended.

Whoa whoa whoa! Now we are talking adjusting bars left and right in the car? Just when you thought things couldn't get any more complicated? Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettshurling View Post
    He puts on several seminars in the off season every year. Rocket hosted the ones I've attended.
    I have been seriously considering going to his school at Rocket. Does he teach more than the basics?

I have been seriously considering going to his school at Rocket. Does he teach more than the basics?
    Yes, it is more than just basics plus it gets you thinking about handling in a more complete car way. The best thing is you get to meet and talk to some other racers who have great info from other parts of the country. The last one I went to was in January 2012.

For sure... you will definitely be in information overload by the end of the weekend.

Have they announced when or if they are doing the school at Rocket for 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit View Post
    Have they announced when or if they are doing the school at Rocket for 2015?
    I'll email Mark and see.

Garrett, how much time is spent on tires (construction, selection, load characteristics)?