Thread: Drive flange

Default Drive flange

Stripped out RR drive flange. What is your thoughts on steel or aluminum? Does the alum flange save the axle from possibly breaking or is it just a weight deal?

What's cheaper axle or flange. Just like tranny input shaft vs button.

OK. Just stripped out drive flange and never really noticed before that it was aluminum. Think I'll order a steel flange.

Usually bent axle is the culprit in my experience.

Or tube slightly bent

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    alum flanges strip out all the time, they are a consumable wear item... if your in a class on the chip youll ruin a few a year.. same with crank couplers. I don't understand why anyone would bother with less than steel for both applications. There is enough stuff to maintain and stay on top of already.
    When I called up Brinn they said to run aluminum because what's cheaper an input shaft or button. Made sense to me and I change it out every 7-10 races.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Like I said alum are consumable... Why would you need to change the shaft? The rest of us run steel and run them for years...Your supposedly changing your coupler twice as often as I change my oil.. makes perfect sense..
    Out of experience a $30 button was cheaper than a $500 input shaft. Also we used aluminum on our drive plates so we knew of pre mature wear or if anything was bent. But maybe Brinn is wrong I dunno. It's worked out well for us and makes sense in my opinion.

I think our maintenance program is a little more in depth then. It's an asphalt thing.