Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 9 inch to quick change

Since IMCA, in their finite wisdom, has decided to allow quick changes next year, I have a question. Having never messed with quick changes, is there a gear change required? Meaning, if I'm running a 6.0, would I start with a 6.0?
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

I know that. That was not the question. The question is what, if any gear change would be required going to a quick change.

Not unless you think the extra 5 percent power loss of going thru the quick change is going to need more gear to overcome

That's why I'm asking. The tracks close to me require anything from a 5:43 to a 6:33. I'm not complaining about their decision. Just curious.
    Last edited by Confused?; 09-02-2014 at 05:06 PM.

there a 40 point diffierences btw the two. so if u run 6.0 with a 9'' it will be 6.40 on the quickchange. thats what i was always told and what we go by

Thank you. That gives me something to go by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused? View Post
    Since IMCA, in their finite wisdom, has decided to allow quick changes next year, I have a question. Having never messed with quick changes, is there a gear change required? Meaning, if I'm running a 6.0, would I start with a 6.0?
    You'll be glad you switched ! No more leaks in the floor under each hub, under the pinion, and running down the inside of your wheels ! QC's are dry !
    The 1st time you buy and/or change gears you'll never go back.

Measure your panhard bar height from the floor before you take the 9" out and match that height on the QC's pinion bracket. Don't compare it to the pinion, they're not in the same location.
    Also, pay attention to the pinion center side to side. A 9" 60" wide "centered" rear end will take a 28.5" and a 32.5" axle while a 60" wide "centered" QC will take 2- 30.5" axles because the pinion is offset 2" to the right on a 9".
    Also, make a note of how high your pullbar mount is above the axle centerline as well as how far front or behind the axle centerline. Make sure the upper brackets you buy for the QC are the same. There are many brands out there and most are different. Same goes for the damper shock mounting point.
    Get these things right and you'll be close.

I'm sure someone you know locally with a LM would be glad to loan you a gear for a night till you decide what gear you need. I'd start out where you were or a little more and make your own decision.
    Last edited by mudeater18; 09-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Default gears

I do not believe that if you are running a 6:00 you would go to a 6:40. A quick change takes about 15 more horsepower to turn vs a 9". That does not equate going from a 6:00 to a 6:40

that's what guys around me told me when we went to a quickchange plus I call winters and they told me about same things that guys I race against told said jmo. its always best to call the people who make the products you buy and 15 hp isn't always how much you will loose 5-15 hp depending on what you have. but quickchange is best choice once you get you will stay with it
    Last edited by modracer18; 09-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modracer18 View Post
    that's what guys around me told me when we went to a quickchange plus I call winters and they told me about same things that guys I race against told said jmo. its always best to call the people who make the products you buy and 15 hp isn't always how much you will loose 5-15 hp depending on what you have. but quickchange is best choice once you get you will stay with it
    The difference isn't linear. A lower in number gear will require a slightly larger change than the higher in number gear. For instance, most running a 5.43 in a 9 inch may want a 5.65 in a quickchange. If you're using a 6.00 in the 9" you would likely go to a 6.1 in the quick change.Lower the number of the gear will require a larger numerical change.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Thanks for the replies. Already knew about the pinion differences. And I build all of my brackets so that won't be an issue. Have a line on a q/c but will need to change the tubes. Won't know for sure for a week or two though. Unfortunately, late models are pretty much dead down here. Q/c gears are cheap enough and some of the info provided will get me going in the right direction.

I recently made the switch and went from a 6.00 in the 9 to a 6.07 in the quick change and it pulls the same rpm in the tack.

Thank you. What did it do in the slick?

Quote Originally Posted by Confused? View Post
    The biggest problem i've seen is some of the quick changes have a 4:11 ring and pinion so this requires a 40 point adjustment,6.50 in a 9 inch 6.90 in a quick change with a 4.11 ring and pinion,now if you have a 4.86 ring and pinion in your quick change the gear that you are running in your 9 inch should be real close so I would start with the 6.0.
    Hope that helps.

Haha! Stock car driver always keeps it real. I'm looking forward to that explanation too...

It was about the same but the nice thing is if the track slows you can go up to say a 6.12 or 6.20 in 3 minutes not even rushing. Lol I'm on kk704s too

Quote Originally Posted by not clamped up View Post
    The biggest problem i've seen is some of the quick changes have a 4:11 ring and pinion so this requires a 40 point adjustment,6.50 in a 9 inch 6.90 in a quick change with a 4.11 ring and pinion,now if you have a 4.86 ring and pinion in your quick change the gear that you are running in your 9 inch should be real close so I would start with the 6.0.
    Hope that helps.
    What ?????

Quote Originally Posted by mudeater18 View Post
    What ?????
    X2.....Please explain!

This is one of the only times I can remember that a rule change comes along that steals 5% of their engine's HP and the drivers are happy about it…. these are strange times we live in.
    Last edited by Krooser; 09-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    This is one of the only times I can remember that a rule change comes along that steals 5% of their engine's HP and the drivers are happy about it…. these re strange times we live in.
    Ever change a 9" gear at the track? Nuff said... lol