Default 8 inch wheels vs 10 inch wheels

Our track lets us run 8 inch or 10 inch wheels. I run the 8 inch but have been thinking about putting 10 inch on it. All the guys at the track tells me i need to but i hate to jump on the band wagon because i have alot of guys that run the open wheel cars and they give me there tires that only has one night of use on them. My question is are they really that big of a difference?

I dont care what you do to the suspension. What is the one piece that connects the suspension to the track? (Tires) in this one case, size does matter!

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Thats what i figured running a wider rim would help but didnt want to change everything if there wasnt a big differance. yes people is giving me the 8 inch wide tires for the 8 inch wide rims. No i cant run the same tire on both wheels because my set of wheels is 8 inch wide and the others is 10 inch wide.

There are some racers at my track starting to put the 8" tires on 10" wheels, is there an advantage to this?

Yes in some cases there can be an advantage. Some 8 inch tires, especially the E-MOD series, actually have a 9 inch tread width (ask the guys at Hoosier and they can confirm this), and I have seen sportsman guys in this area run the 8 inch E-MOD tires on a 10 inch rim to spreed it out and get full use of the tread. But it depends on the rules, it is legal for them to run 10 inch tires and wheels, so that's why they do this, it saves a little money for them to buy the 8 inch tire over a 10 inch tire.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

You will gain a little more footprint plus your sidewall will be a little stiffer. I think your biggest gain will be running an 8" RR wheel and 10" LR wheel, in order to get enough stagger.I have seen national touring late model teams doing this.(narrower wheel on RR)

How hard is it to get the 8" rubber to stay on the 10" wheels? Can it be done without beadlocks?

You will have no problems if you have a good name brand wheel.