Default Vortec Cylinder Head Question

So, I have heard a lot of talk about using Vortec cylinder heads on "Crate Killer" engine packages for IMCA mods. I haven't seen much/any talk about those heads on here.

Does anyone have any experience running the stock Vortec heads and if so what casting numbers? Are any casting numbers better as far as performance and resistance to cracking? What about the GM performance heads or the EQ Vortec heads? Also, if anyone has any info on what a any of these heads weigh?

Thanks for the help.

We have been running a set of EQ vortec heads for 3 years with no problems.They are on a 355 flat top short block. We turn it 7500rpm's every week with zero issues. It was the first set of EQ's our engine builder used and he was impressed with their design.

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    We have been running a set of EQ vortec heads for 3 years with no problems.They are on a 355 flat top short block. We turn it 7500rpm's every week with zero issues. It was the first set of EQ's our engine builder used and he was impressed with their design.
    Have a pair of the same heads on the second motor 365 I built. That thing would pull like a sob and was smoother then the 383-406 stuff running camelbacks.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    But is it also 5-10lbs heavier per head than a stock 906 vortec?

I put a set of the eq vortec heads on a drag motor i built this winter. Made 500tq and 450hp with a very small cam, dual plane intake and 9 to 1 compression. Nice castings. They weight about the same as the vortec bowties.

Quote Originally Posted by save the racers View Post
    But is it also 5-10lbs heavier per head than a stock 906 vortec?
    We didn't check. Stock Vortecs are hard to find and their thin deck is prone to cracking.

BTW, we went with the 305 heads with the smaller chambers because our rules didn't spell out a part number. Yes, we picked up a fair amount of compression.

Do you recall what the EQ part number was? I am having a hard time finding much info on their website. Did anyone ever look into promaxx or the PBM heads? It looks like summit has "their own" brand of Vortec heads. I read somewhere that those were made by Dart. I am not sure what else is out there and haven't had my hands on any of them. I am guessing all of the aftermarket heads are heavier than the stock one.

SCD, did you weigh your crate as it came from GM? The info I read from GM said they weigh 375 lbs. I was wondering how Karl's is advertising their package as less total than a crate at around 420. Once again never had my hands on one. Sorry if this info was already covered somewhere else on here.

Our dyno sheet showed it made 512 hp, don't quite remember the torque. It was a flat top motor with a Performer intake and Quick Fuel Holley 3310 carb. It has performed flawlessly the past two years. It was built by Wildcat Performance of Adel, GA.

Pro-Max will give you most bang for the buck.

Here is the real story on Vortec head weights. Stay away from the EQ's if you intend to save weight. They weigh the same as a Dart or World head. Also I have heard that the GM performance heads as well as 602 heads now days weigh just a little more than the stock pickup heads but I haven't had a chance to weigh them.

Bare weight:

Stock 96 to 99 pickup heads - 36 lbs
    Bowtie Vortec - 43.5 lbs
    EQ Vortec - 49.5 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by mod71m View Post
    Here is the real story on Vortec head weights. Stay away from the EQ's if you intend to save weight. They weigh the same as a Dart or World head. Also I have heard that the GM performance heads as well as 602 heads now days weigh just a little more than the stock pickup heads but I haven't had a chance to weigh them.

Bare weight:

Stock 96 to 99 pickup heads - 36 lbs
    Bowtie Vortec - 43.5 lbs
    EQ Vortec - 49.5 lbs

the 906 and 062 are only 6lbs heavier than some aluminum heads.
    We ran them on a 15.75:1 superstock for 10 yrs, never a cracking issue