Default Slightly OT, What kind of sheet metal shears do you guys use ?

I need to buy some new shears for body work; I've always used the dewalt 14 guage electric shears, but they are a little pricey @ $275.00 -> http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW891-G...t+metal+shears

Anybody know of something better / cheaper / etc that works as well ?

Thanks !

I have used harbor freight and grizzly for years. I have a harbor freight nibbler and grizzly electric shears. Very happy with them for the price the only downfall is can lightly scratch the aluminum easy, about 1/4-3/8" out from the cut where the guide runs, typically not an issue when folding over will be on the back side but if your not folding over can frustrated you.

I have used Kett for years. Got an old one and the second one I found on line for about $155.00 about 6 months ago. Lots of power and controlable.

I prefer the original cordless shears for most of my cutting.
    http://www.amazon.com/Malco-M14N-Cap...rn+snips+malco

We also have a set of double cuts from Harbor Freight, they work plenty good for a race car body.

I'd like to get a unishear instead, less scrap and I like the way they work better.

And for the regular snips, I only use MidWest offsets, they seem to work the best for me.
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002IY...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I bought these Bosch shears two years ago, they have been great, work flawlessly and it is really nice not dragging a cord around or getting it caught up on the edge of a piece. A little pricey, but we'll worth it in my opinion.

Talon, how long of battery life are you getting?

Really good, better than I thought a 12v would be. You can easily do a whole deck or body on a charge. Mine came with two batteries that charge a lot faster than you can drain the one in use so you always have one.

I had the harbor freight ones but once I got the Bosch corded one I will never go back. Ive also heard good things about the cordless ones too. I also got a different brand of hand snips this year. I cant remember the name but they still forged unlike most on the market these days.

Tennsmith foot sheer and a old Chicago air sheer.

I have used a Milwaukee electric shear for 10yrs now. Still works perfectly!

Anybody got any tricks for clamping some sort of straight edge to your sheet so you can cut a perfect line?

Stomp shear is so quick and easy. Still looking for one locally since the sheetmetal shop that used to let most of the racers use his equipment shut down

I bought a used uni-shear for $15.00 at a flea market 25 yrs ago. That thing still works fantastic with the original blades. I also have a 52" foot shear. For the long (door Bottoms)cuts, I put the piece in my bender and use a razor knife using the clamp as a straight edge. It usually takes 2 passes with a good blade.

Default shear

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Anybody got any tricks for clamping some sort of straight edge to your sheet so you can cut a perfect line?

Put it in your sheet metal brake and use the front edge that bends the material up as your straightedge.
    the bottom nibbler on the cutter will ride right along the edge, and give you a perfect cut.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Thanks guys, that a great idea. I'll have to try that out tonight.

One of my nephews dabbles in Aluminum boat building and uses a circular saw with a carbide blade, for the long straight cuts, and a piece of long angle for a guide. It's a bit noisy but goes fast. The edge is a little rough but a couple swipes with a body file cleans it up to a manufactures edge quick. It even works on diamond plate or thicker sheets.