Atomic Speedway September 13, 2014 Results FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

By Scott Wolfe

CHILLICOTHE, OHIO- Dayton Auto Racing Fan club or DARF night at Atomic Speedway proved to be an exciting night of racing on Ohio's Fastest 3/8 mile high-banked speedway. In the 410 sprint main Lockbourne, Ohio driver Cole Duncan brought home the $2,000 to win, while in the AMRA Late Models Chris Garnes, Evans, WV claimed the win. J.P. Roberts posted the AMRA Modified win, Bob Crace, Jr., the Sport Mods, Brandon Gardner the Hobby Stocks, and Steven Partin scored the Legends win.
Wheelersburg, Ohio's Rod Conley and talented Chad Smith set the pace for the 25-lap, $2,000-to-win Gullion Enterprises Late Model main. Conley jumped into the lead, but was pursued by a pack of hungry Wolves after Smith jumped the cushion in turn number two of the first lap. Smith shuffled back to tenth.
Four-time AMRA champion Chris Garnes battled hard with Jeremy Berwanger for third behind second place Ralph Withem. Garnes finally blitzed by Berwanger and began to close in on leader Conley.
Meanwhile, Jason Montgomery had charged into the top five from an 8th-place start. Garnes and Conley raced nose-to-tail for five laps before Garnes took advantage of a Conley bobble to take the lead on lap twelve.
Montgomery had now worked his way into a battle with Conley for second. That duo thrilled the crowd for several laps, but well behind the leader Garnes. Garnes was decidedly in control through lap 18, when the caution waved for a spinning Billy Gullion. That bunched up the pack for a close finish.
Montgomery responded with renewed enthusiasm. Montgomery quickly sacked Conley, then closed the gap on Garnes. For two laps, Montgomery was right on the tail of Garnes. Montgomery and Garnes were within a hundredth of a second of one another with Racin' Jason looking for a set-up move.
On turn one of the last lap Montgomery put on a slide job, and edged ahead of Garnes, only to scrub off speed and allow Garnes to pull away for the victory. Coming on strong at the end were Greggie Oliver, Ralph Withem, and J.T. Conley.
Three hard chargers tied for passing honors. Montgomery came from 8th to second, Greggie Oliver from 10th to fourth, and Mike Wilson from 15th to 9th.
Rounding out the top ten were Chris Garnes, Jason Montgomery, Rod Conley, Greggie Oliver, Ralph Withem, , J.T. Conley, Chad Smith, Mark Frazier, Mike Wilson, and Kevin Wagner.
"The car was good," said Garnes. "We struggled with some set-up issues this year, and some engine issues, but I think we got them worked out. We've turned everything around here lately."

In the sprint car main Nathan Skaggs blitzed into a whirlwind start, rampaging to a huge lead. Kory Crabtree anchored second for the first six laps before Cole Duncan reeled in the young gun. Skaggs continued to maintain a half straight-away lead, but Duncan began to chisel away that distance lap after lap.
Jimmy Nier had worked his way up to fourth from a seventh place start, but on lap 12 Nier made contact with a tire and flipped his mount in turn two. On the restart Skaggs' mount would not take off and Duncan stormed into the lead. Skaggs went pit side as Nate Reeser spun off turn two.
Skaggs was able to resolve the problem with his mount during the caution, but restarted a lap down. Duncan restarted in the lead and blitzed on to a resounding victory. His only setback was a momentary scare when he made contact with a lapped car with just one lap to go.
Dwayne Zablocki was impressive within the top five all night long, but his fine run came to an end when his mount stalled on the last lap. Meanwhile, Ryan Myers made the most of the last seven laps, jumping from seventh to fourth with an exciting passing binge. Broughton who had a top three car at one point shuffled back to fourth. That came after a sparkling 11th to 4th place run by Broughton. Dave (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son anchored a strong top five.
Rounding out the top ten were Cole Duncan, Kory Crabtree, Ryan Myers, Ryan Broughton, Dave (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son, Jimmy Stinson, Aaron Higgins, Jesse McCreary, Adam Strausser, and Dwayne Zablocki.
The Hummel Factory Kahne hard charger was Jimmy Stinson in a 19th to 6th place run.
"It's the same track for everyone," said Duncan. "Some guys may say it's rough, but no matter what this track is like, it's fast and it's fun. This track is always racy and to win here is a big deal."
"I tried to find a good line and make it work. I want to dedicate this to both my grandpa's here tonight--my one grandpa is back after just having open heart surgery. It is good to be back in our car, but next week I'll be in the 49 car and hopefully redeem myself."
In Hollywood fashion, J.P. Roberts scored his second consecutive win with a well-scripted storybook finish. While vying for first place, Roberts and leaders Brian Whiteman and Jeff Votaw made contact on the backchute with Roberts spinning and going to the tail on lap six.
Brian Whiteman led much of the first 11 circuits, but daredevil Jeff Votaw had been challenging for the top spot most of the race. Votaw finally took over the lead and led four circuits. Throughout the race, Fireball Pinkerton, Votaw, Greggie Oliver and Roberts all fought hard for position. Likewise, Mike Long and Derrick Smith battled hard for the duration.
In the last five laps Oliver took the lead, then on a restart Votaw sat back on the point. Fireball Pinkerton shot out of the gate at the drop of the green and leap-frogged from fourth to first, just as it appeared that Robert's comeback bid was stalled at third.
The lead changes continued an on another restart for a green-white-checkered finish. Pinkerton drifted high into the wall, and in one swift thrust Roberts blasted by Oliver to take the lead and the win.
"I didn't need that spin out early in the race," said an elated Roberts. "Thanks to Brad and his crew and to my crew. My car was fast and the track was fast. After I got back into the top five, I decided I'm getting up on the wheel and going for it."
The hard-charger of the race was Matt Edmisten in a steady 16th to 6th place run. Rounding out the top ten were J.P. Roberts, Dave Fireball Pinkerton, Greggie Oliver, Mike Long, Derrick Smith, Matt Edmisten, Brian Whiteman, Derrick Shadwick, Jeff Votaw, and Donnie Miller.
Loudenville, Ohio driver Brandon Gardner brought home the win in the Street Stock division and was also the hard-charger in a sixth to first-place run. Gardner made the four-hour tow worthwhile, even after having to re-shod his machine with Hoosier's for the night. Rob Smith took the early lead with challenges from Adam Jones, then Tommy Mossbarger. Twice Gardner had taken the lead, only to have the caution fly, thus putting Smith back in front. The last round Gardner made it official as he roared to the win.
Rounding out the top ten were Brandon Gardner, Tommy Mossbarger, Rob Smith, Adam Jones, Justin Poling, Dave Landman, Larry Highland, Jeremy Conley, and Brian McQuay.
In the Sport Mod A-main Bob Crace, Jr. shot into the lead and led all 15 laps for the win. Crace was pressured early by Harley Martin and Ricky Neace, but once the race went green for several laps, Crace emerged a convincing winner. Martin, who had gone to the tail early, ended up second ahead of Rick Neace, Mike Brust, Steve Noble, Ed Richendollar, Jeff Gillman, John Cuckler, Jason Cottrill, and John Remy.
Jeff Gillman was the hard charger in an eleventh to seventh place run.
Steven Partin claimed the Legends race ahead of Tommy Stout, Tom Partin, Rob Puckett, Steve Duderstadt, Cole Dement, Rusty Dement,Josh Francis, Tommy Stout, and Jr. John Guttman.

For more information please call 740-703-9749 or 740-663-4141 or visit the Atomic Speedway website at <<< www.atomicspeedway.net >>> Atomic is located 12 miles South of Chillicothe, Ohio off SR 23, two miles out Blain Highway between Chillicothe, Ohio and Waverly, Ohio at Alma