Default Buying a new 604....Suggestions?

Broke a super motor and looking to switch to crates and run this winter. Just wondered if we are better off buying from a dealer or a certified rebuilder like Hendren or race 1. Any place it would be cheaper? Am I better off buying just the motor and adding the extras myself or buying a motor ready to drop in? Any suggestions would be great.

Can't go wrong buying from Brad @Race1

I would buy the motor new and shop the extras.
    Most of the 604 motors are priced very close and have free shipping.

The extras like carb, pumps, fan, headers etc you can buy used and save money.

JMO

new 604 engines have a service bullitin right now pertaining to intake valves

the intake valve has an actual date lazered into the stem and certain dates are being recalled
    the dates are 7-13; 8-13; 10-13

there is a serial number window that has been issued to narrow the search but we have found the specified valves outside the issued window as well so thats not an exact check

the only way to be sure is to pull the retainer from each intake valve and check the date----its a pain in the neck but not nearly as bad as dropping a valve

we pulled 12 engines apart yesterday + all of our in stock cylinder heads + all of our in stock individual valves
    we found MOST to be in the recall status
    we plan to check the remainder of our engine inventory before selling any to the public---recall staus engines are being sent back to GM for updated valves

dealers with old stock are your best bet for an engine if you need it soon-----BUT at least ask if the intake valves have been checked

we still recommend utilizing our "new engine checklist" for any new engine
    the checklist can be found on our website at www.race-1.com then click the Q&A box on the left hand side----I think the check list is about #5 on the listed items
    the checklist itself will be updated in the near future to include checking the date on the intake valve

Brad

Brad, does buying one of these new motors that you just checked the valves in have any incurring cost along with original crate motor price ?

I don't see how it could----it is simply checking to make sure your product is not recalled

how could any retailer charge for that

I didn't know if you had to pull the head to check / change them or what. I'm sure your time ,head gaskets,intake gaskets, and seal bolts aren't cheap unless supplied and reimbursed from gm. Thats a better way to ask my question.

Default Really???

Stock Car Driver: I don't post on here very much because of people like you always running your fingers on the key board and telling everyone how stupid they are. I have called you out more then once and will do it one more time. Go back and read what you said........If you think or believe what "YOUR DEALER" is telling your an idiot. You Said and I quote "Its not a recall or a bulletin according to them. The way they are dealing with it is IF your motor blows and it falls within the criteria to be effected by the poorly welded together valves they will give you a new engine..." Well, dumb dumb From what you posted they know exactly what it is and it is a problem (poorly welded valves). What there betting on is what most dealers bet on and that's, that these engines will make it outside of the "criteria" and the racer is screwed again. You know its funny that the two biggest GM Dealers in K.C. know that there are Bulletins for repair on these crates and yours don't. Let me guess, Freisen Chevrolet (sp) or Carls Chevrolet, the dealers that Dyno Motors before you buy them and give the best ones to certain racers......LMFAO....Tell me Im wrong.

"Racetech", if a possible problem came up but the parts probably only made it into a few engines, how else should it be handled? If it's a GM bulletin I'm sure it'd be honored at any dealership. I think it's pretty stand-up to acknowledge that there may be something like that and to offer to remedy the problem if it arises. Don't let your hatred of crate engines cloud your mind, the dyno testing is to catch problems before it's raced and to make sure the tune is right. It's a great thing to have done.
    Last edited by 50j; 11-10-2014 at 09:01 AM.

See Stock Car Driver, You dodged my point totally. Your dealer knows there is a problem. or they would never make a statement IF something goes wrong. But that's Ok, you know more then everyone else does if you don't believe me.......just ask yourself. Again why I don't waste my time on here. OH, and you keep believing that these engines are created equal, One day your going to find out. 50j---Your right I do hate crates never liked them and never will. You guys can keep making the rich richer that's ok with me. I will keep supporting the local guy.

I believe in supporting the local guy too. As long as an engine builder can get it done in time, do it right and put the parts and work they're being paid for into it I am all for it. When someone has to pull the motor out of the farm truck, put 80 nights on the motor in the car because the new one isn't ready on time, or takes one apart to find that they paid for something that isn't there, that isn't good. Nobody wants to deal with that.