Default which heads would you run?

Any stock OEM cast iron cylinder head with a min. of 62 cc
    chamber, must be straight plug. Any aftermarket cast iron cylinder head with a min. of 72 cc
    chamber. Can run vortec heads but have to add 40lbs in front of firewall. Maximum.550 cam lift. Holley 4412 with factory specs only. No carb spacers allowed only a 1 inch adapter. Flat top pistons only, must use steel connecting rods, crankshafts can be steel but must be stock stroke. Full Roller Rockers are allowed. 362 cubic inch max.

Well if you only have to add 40# with Vortec heads I'd run something like a Dart head. Few stock SBC heads will be as good with a .550 lift cam. You shouldbe able to get the compression up as high as you need it even with the 72cc rule. The guy who wrote that rule is a moron IMHO.

I would look at Chevy Bowtie steel heads.They come stock with 64cc chambers. A lot of llm engines were built with these in my area. A flat top 358 generally makes about 535hp. Check out rules for NLMS series.

bow tie ! i second that .

Bowtie heads are ancient compared to new dart stuff. I'd run a set of platinums.

535hp out of a 23 degree 362ci using a stock 4412, flat tops, and 72cc heads; = very good dyno.

Dart heads are ok, but if you can find a comparable set of world, rhs, or pro topline heads you'll be much happier. For the build you're describing, I'd get a set with 200cc intake runners. Don't go any bigger than that. I run Rhs 200cc heads with a small solid f/t comp 4/7 swap cam(12-688-47) in a 358 in my ump modified and I love it. Very competitive motor as long as I stick to 3/8 or smaller tracks.