Thread: Break in oil?

Default Break in oil?

I was wondering what everybody uses for break in oil? Or do you use the oil that your going to run and add an additive? If you run an additive, which one? I was thinking about using the Lucas break in additive and using vr1 Valvoline 20w50. Is there anything wrong with this combination? Or should I use the Lucas 20w50 break in oil, and not add the additive ?What does everybody think? The motor is a steelhead 355 sbc. Thanks in advance.

I have broken them in either way with a break in oil or with any oil that's not synthetic with the additive and have always had great results. It's important to prime the oiling system and fill the carb bowls with fuel so the engine will fire quickly and continue to run.

Default Break In Oil

I have been using either Brad Penn Break In oil or the Driven(Gibbs) Break In oil for years. I break in my engines on the dyno, and believe it or not, I reuse the oil for 2-3 engines. No problems.

We filled our new engine this year with Schaeffer 7000 racing oil and their Moly oil additive per our engine shop's recommendation. This is the first time we have used this product and we had good results so far. The shop owner said to run it for two races then drain and refill with just the oil without the additive.

I have friends who have used both Brad Penn and Gibb's with good results… i don't think you can go wrong with either.

We use either Driven or a decent oil with a break in additive. Use it on 2-3 engines with no problems
    Will port and polish for cash

Thanks for all the advise, went with the Lucas 20w50 break in oil, Thanks for all the reply's.