Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He never said it would get more fuel in the cylinder and it doesn't but you squeeze what you got tighter and you will make more power.
    The one dude that made the comment "tell the crate guys they don't have enough compression." To that dude I say this with both crate engines being totally equal except I get to run more compression and I will blow your doors off on the dyno.I say dyno because on track you may have a better driver.

Dirtracer9x,
    Your missing the whole point about compression.Subject was will more compression help a restricted(2 barrel) engine.Everyone knows that at some point you have to hook up what you have.

Perfconn ! It's a 1/4 mile track, car is like 3300 lbs on a 8" tire. The track is like a paper clip. Ya pretty much try to drive in hard, roll thru the middle as fast as possible, then drag race down the straight aways.

and ill say it again another way in limited situations compression can hinder your ability to make usable power. there is no doubt to me that more compression makes more power to a point we all pretty much know that.

i knew just by the rule what this fellow was putting this in and stated my opinion. short stroke motors are awesome when you have the cash to build high rpm high dollar motors. but for a limited guy trying to get the most bang for his buck in a stock class you have to look at things differently. . you need 1st something that will be cost attractive, 2 that will be durable, and 3 will fill the gaps in power delivery given the circumstances. i've done many of these small inch large stroke builds recently and the people love them. and they last a lot of laps.

you dont have to wing em up, they deliver lots of torque to pull the car off the corner and they are relatively cheap to build with right off the shelf components. i'll go further with what ive done for some people out west in imca stockers that do very well. we use the 3.75 strk ultralight house brand from ohio crank. stk 5.7 long rods with arp bolts and hyper pistons whatever is cheapest at the time in a 305 block. for the 2 bbl cars. people swear they are 421's and 430's their not even close.

1dirtracer1,

Sycamore (IL) late model?

I think this is the only forum in the world where somebody can try to convince people that compression can hinder your ability to make power. I've ran 14-15 to 1 engines with 2bbls that had great flat tq and hp curves. They won me many races.

I agree with stockcar5. Get as much compression as you can and get with Charles at camcraft to grind you a cam and you won't be disappointed. Can spread the lobe separation out a little and give you nice flat torque curve. I love my cam on 110 lobe I got from him.

Compression is bad in a carb restricted engine? When did this happen?

We run 2 cars in the same class. One has a 10:1 compression and the other, due to a blown engine, is running an 8:1 compression. There are some other differences in the engine, cam and heads. The 10:1 engine makes a lot more power than the 8:1 and both run a Holley 4412 carb.

Ok what heads ? They have to be cast iron , straight plug.

Either EQ or RHS

rhs quit making iron heads a while ago. eq hasnt had any sbc performance heads for a while either. I would try to find some used ones or leftover stock somebody may have. if that doesnt work go with the vortec bowtie heads.

We really like our Dart Eagle SS heads.

I better go up to the race shop and put .080" head gaskets in the 878 HP 410 ci 16:1 CR sprint car motor...now that I know how to get it up over 900 or so...
    Josh K.

I have a new set of EQ hybrid vortec heads on the shelf. $530 plus the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    Can you elaborate on How increasing the CR will help get more fuel in the cylinder?
    It does....BUT....and I say but because it is a fine line thing . It's STILL limited by the amount of airflow the carb will allow.more compression means tighter squeeze on upstroke which ALSO means more vacuum on the downstroke. More vacuum sucking air in ALSO pulls in more fuel. But it's still only gonna pull as much air /fuel as the carb will allow to flow. And u can only squeeze that air /fuel to the point of most bang for buck. Anything past that point will show no incease.