Default Warped timing cover

What would cause a timing cover to warp? Over torqued bolts? Heat? I posted awhile back about an oil leak. My timing cover looked like a banana (bottom and top pointing away from the engine. Is this common? Or do I probably have something else that caused it? A plastic timing cover is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Guess no one else has seen this before. Hopefully it was a fluke

I run a cast aluminum one, never had a problem with it.
    Never seen a plastic one.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

couple things could have caused. they are a one time use, throw them away every time you take them off. More info on the engine would be helpful, age ever been rebuilt type stuff. not a whole lot under the cover could cause it without seeing issues. I would think heat from a water pump?

have to remember these are not race car engines, they are truck engines, expense has been spared everywhere. But these covers have been ran on engines for YEARS in street cars/trucks

I don't have a lot of info on the engine. I bought the car "race ready". It supposedly had 7 races on it since being rebuilt (the Nesmith Builder who fixed the cover for me agreed that it looked very fresh). I probably ran it 20 laps and found that it was leaking. Since getting it fixed, I haven't run it other than checking for leaks yet. I agree that it seems to be a heat issue. I just hope it isn't something that happens once a week.

i wouldnt worry about it at all. Chalk it up as a fluke, put it on your checklist.

Thanks for the insight man