MOORESVILLE, North Carolina (September 24, 2014) This has truly been a remarkable year for Jeremy Mayfield, and it looks like he’s saved the best for last. This morning, Mayfield announced his plans to compete in a full season of Dirt Late Model & Super Late Model racing in 2015 with the J2Mayfield Race Team. The rumors started to circulate back in February of this year that he may be considering a return to dirt racing - the type of racing he grew up competing within. This was confirmed in July, when pictures of his car appeared on Instagram.
“It’s been a long time coming; more than a year in the making.” Mayfield said. “We’ve been working on putting this together as well as racing in the Koma Unwind Modified Madness Series and the X-1R Pro Cup Series. It’s been crazy to say the least. I definitely couldn’t have done this without the help of Humpy Wheeler the past six months or so. He’s been such a big supporter and friend over the years, and I’m so grateful to him and his team for the help they’ve provided. Of course, none of this would be possible without the awesome team around me back at the shop.”
Mayfield’s dirt team debut will take place at the 2nd Annual King of the Carolinas event presented by Carolinas First Defense.
As excited as everyone is to see Mayfield return to his roots, those who have seen the paint scheme for his car and hauler are gearing up for the fan reaction with something so ground-breaking.
“We’ve spent nearly a year developing the overall concept, and I believe when people see it they’ll understand why we’ve been so secretive,” stated team Co-Owner, Aaron Thomas. “We wanted to do something that would blow people away and create an excitement level, particularly for younger fans, that you typically only see with Monster Trucks. I believe when we debut at Carolina Speedway, it will set the bar and generate the kind of fan enthusiasm we should all be chasing. Our ‘Take It Back’ mantra refers to our belief that it’s time to take racing back to its roots. But more specifically, with Jeremy’s story, he’s had a tough time the last few years. When life happens, you can sit down and take it, or you can stand up and Take It Back. Jeremy is taking his life back, and our hope is that his comeback inspires others to do the same.”
The King of the Carolinas is a multi-day event that brings together top racers from all over the southeast. The unique format will see full racing shows on both Friday and Saturday night. Friday night will feature the 4th Annual SECA sanctioned Bill Hendren Memorial and will pay $3,000 to winner. Also on the card Friday night will be a $1,200 to win UMP Modified feature and a $1,000 to win Front Wheel Drive event. Gates open at 4:00 with racing at 7:30
Saturday night’s headliner will be the 15th Annual Carolina Clash Bash that will see the super late model winner walk away with $5,000. Also on the card that night will be a $1,500 to win UMP Modified feature, a $1,500 to win Street Stock feature, a $1,500 to win Renegade feature a $2,500 to win MMSA Four Cylinder feature and a $1,000 to win Thunder Sportsman feature. Gates will open at 2:00 with racing at 5:30
For more information please visit www.carolinaspeedway.net or call the race hotline 704-869-0313
Follow us @J2Mayfield & learn more about J2Mayfield Racing and Jeremy’s plans at J2Mayfield.com.