Default Very large driver

I currently help work on a few late models. I am 6ft 10 and very close to 400 lbs. the tech question is, would it ever be possible to set a late model up to run with a driver my size? Or should i just keep working on them and give up on ever driving one? Thanks

First of all stop eating crap food and start dieting. You can be tall and drive a car but get your weight in check.

I've seen a handful of large drivers over time. 6'10" probably not, but more than one who had to be over 300 lbs. I remember one guy that had to hinge a portion of his driver's door just so he could get in and out of the car. And he was a heck of a driver! I've always considered safety to be paramount in everything we do, so to try and objectively answer your question: I've always wondered how larger drivers would withstand or survive any significant wreck? I've read that 1' of seatbelt/harness material can stretch up to 3" under severe impact. Having a background in EMS, I can also tell you that there are three collisions in any vehicular crash: Your vehicle colliding with something (another car, the wall), You colliding with the inside of your vehicle (your seatbelts, steering wheel?), and your organs colliding with the inside of your body. Maybe more than you wanted to hear, but I wish you luck nonetheless!

Mike Boland in Alabama is at least 6'5" and has to be 325 and he still whoops a$$ when he gets in a car. Wheel spacers learn to use them and you can get a car to work with a big guy.

Look up Rick Singleton on facebook.. He races in the PA/Va/Md area and wins ask him.. Played pro football for the Seattle Seahawks I believe.. Also.. Big Al Chaney ... He maybe even bigger that you.. Again.. Ask him..

Get in touch with Brian Ruhlman. He's a big guy that gets a car around the track. Lates and Mods. Great Fabricator too. No doubt he could get you fitted to a car that gets around the track.

Guy at my local track used to run topless all the time because he couldn't fit between door and halo. Never stopped him from running up front. Also another guy well over 300 ran crates and ran good every week couple wins

I crew for Big Al Cheney and he is right about your size. We have worked on the chassis to get it working with him in the car. The battery is mounted on the right, we have ballast weight even though we don't need it mounted on the right, the fuel cell is moved and a couple other things to get the car to work. We ran Williams Grove limited this year and used his street stock motor from years ago but the car handled fairly well considering how over weight it is. Hopefully we will have a new engine for next season and see how that helps. As it says on the back of the car"Over weight and under funded". But we have fun.

A very good friend of mine is 6'3" and about 350. Runs an unsealed crate motor in limited class due to no seals and runs top 5! His car hooks up and handles very well and is under powered in the limited class pretty bad. Race, have fun and don't give a rats a$$ what others say!

It can be done. You're going to need to save weight EVERYWHERE you can. You might try going with an 1-3/4" car to save some weight on the frame. But then think about weight on every single component. All the way down to cutting the ends off of bolts that stick out past the end of the nut.

Dirtchief- you must play in the NFL or maybe professional sumo wrestler? lol I'd contact a chassis builder and have them build me a custom car with the driver moved towards the center of the car. Your head is going to stick out the normal roll cage even if your butt is dragging the ground. They make cars for tall guys with raised halo's but I'm not sure that will be enough.

If I had to worry about every pound I've given up to some young flat belly I would have never gotten into a race car.

Now, after a 25 year layoff from driving, I hope to be back into a car next season. Now I'm old AND fat… the time to start making memories in NOW… go for it.

i am 6-4 305 and know a few bigger than me. won almost 300 wins and 6 this year. biggest thing is to run ride high a little higher on left and put about 25 lb lead high right we run it over the deck to get the car to roll.

dont let weight or size keep ya outta a race car, money should be biggest limiting factor!!..im 6'4 and down to 335 or so!! and know a few id spect out weigh me run well too!! twister5 im glade to see you have a good year man know you worked hard an deserved it too!!
    white trash motorsports

Great topic!!! And informative answers

I am 6 foot and 400 lbs. I don't run a dirt late model, but an Outlaw Figure 8 car. I do alright and I have a blast. As for safety, I have wrecked about every way imaginable and walked away every time. Use common sense and go have fun.

bill frye be a guy to talk to also, just saying