Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why A Sprint Car???

Ok so I got to thinking the other day about why we still have sprint cars running today. First off, I see sprint cars as such old school technology(compared to other dirt classes). I'm not a Sprint car guy myself so can't fully understand it. I've wheeled a couple for all together just over 100 laps total. But I feel the class is so ubsurd in the fact that you're sliding and digging just the rear tires. It to me teaches bad habits for the quick steer, seat position, driving style, and the suspension is just so basic. Not to mention i dont like having a chassis that doesnt fold around you bevause of its weight. Instead your bldy tske all the dsmage internally. Is that why the class exist, because of the simple old school method of racing? Again, I don't race these cars but want thoughts and reasons you like Sprint cars.

some racers like living in the past I guess

I just find them very unsafe. Not only that but the technology seem kinda ridiculous. They're like shortened top fuel dragters, on dirt, going in circles. Just doesn't make much sense for me to want to race in the series but to watch they're like wild bulls running around haha. Guess no one who races them wants to chime in???

cant fix whats not broke. The cars have had changes done, but they almost always go back to original design, simply because it just works better. You find very few coil over winged cars, not because it hasn't been tried, but because the torsion bar setup is better. there is more technology involved than you'd think. torsion bar tube height in the chassis is critical. You've got std bar setups, reverse bars, stacked bars, radius rod length and angles, birdcage pickup points, overall chassis design, Jacobs ladder lengths and mounting locatioins, motor height, motor angle, different driveshaft designs (std coupler vs. swivel coupler). torsion bar bushings vs. needle bearing bushings. wing design.

I know there is a lot to the technology to make any car fast. It's just the huge rear tires and small fronts that just seems silly. It's like trying to make a funny car or top fuel dragster Fo in circles and wondering why it's so fascinating is all. Plus the safety aspect. Almost like Indy cars where you're bound to get hurt in most accidents.

You're not gonna get to much feedback on this board. Head on over to Ibracn, or Hoseheads and ask there.

IMHO, they are the fastest car on dirt. That is part of the draw.

Being someone who has raced these cars there is nothing and I mean nothing that compares. Big back tires require a certain finess and sense of attack that is unlike a lot of cars. Driving a car with the back tires only takes a different type. And the tech is similar basis but has advanced 10 fold over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Being someone who has raced these cars there is nothing and I mean nothing that compares. Big back tires require a certain finess and sense of attack that is unlike a lot of cars. Driving a car with the back tires only takes a different type. And the tech is similar basis but has advanced 10 fold over the years.
    They just seem different to me because they are not what I'm used to. But they're like the top fuel dragsters of dirt. I wish there were ways to make them safer is why I dislike them so much.

In reality if you do what's available correctly. And don't take chances with crashed/used parts and keep up on maintenance they are safer than most think. They do get upside down easy but. Full containment seats, proper belt mounting restraints installed and used correct they van be pretty survivable. And maybe that's whatakes them take a different kind of racer. They have had such a reputation and still are more dangerous than most so it takes a special breed to think its a good idea. I loved it. Choosing to step away because of starting a family and spending less $$$ but I would do it all over again!

Basically sprint cars are not that much safe. They do get flipped down very easily. Complete containment chairs, appropriate buckle increasing constraints set up and used appropriate they van be fairly survivable. And maybe that's what takes them take a different type of speed.

Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Twilio Services | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin | Privacy Pro | Wifi Based App | Privacy Pro App
    Last edited by Blingmo; 10-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.

The old, outdated sprint cars are faster and more exciting to watch than any other cars. They are cheaper to maintain and repair than a late model or even modified, plus the payouts are generally higher. Our local track is 1500 to win and 200 to start weekly. I have owned and worked on stock cars, mods, late models, sprint cars, and now 600cc mini sprints. Give me a sprint car any day.
    As for safety, we were in Little Rock for STN this past weekend, and on a super heavy and extremely rough track there were nearly 20 cars that got upside down in one night. Every driver got out and walked away, im sure some were sore the next day, but none really injured.

They are much cheaper than a late model.

Thats debateable

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    Thats debateable
    Not really.

Now neither are cheap per say. But to build a top notch sprint car vs a top notch late model is a difference so far I figured of nearly 10k prolly more if I keep going.

Currently building a maxim 87/40 for usac and I'm considering quitting late models all together.

well yeah usac would be but the winged variety highly unlikely

Is there a tech question somewhere in this post? I can't find it...
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRacer9x View Post
    Ok so I got to thinking the other day about why we still have sprint cars running today. First off, I see sprint cars as such old school technology(compared to other dirt classes).
    What you don't realize is other suspension systems have been tried, coilover and even cantilevers. They run what works the best, but if you think you have a better idea I challenge you to prove it.
    But I feel the class is so ubsurd in the fact that you're sliding and digging just the rear tires. It to me teaches bad habits for the quick steer, seat position, driving style, and the suspension is just so basic.
    Its a different way to drive for sure, but most classes of dirt require different approaches and look strange to others. Take the DLM, they've gone away from using suspension on 3 outta 4 corners. The LR is running around jacked up on 2 solid rods, the RF is pushed over and laying on a rubber bumper, the LF is left dangling in the air and only the RR does any actual "suspension" work, talk about absurd. The car feel and driving technique utilized in these cars today don't translate to any other class, not even cup anymore.
    Not to mention i dont like having a chassis that doesnt fold around you bevause of its weight. Instead your bldy tske all the dsmage internally.
    Not sure what you mean, but the frame/cage does deform in a crash, just like any other chassis. Sure there is less of it, but it all has a purpose. Your right you aren't a sprint car guy.
    Is that why the class exist, because of the simple old school method of racing? Again, I don't race these cars but want thoughts and reasons you like Sprint cars.
    This class exist because it puts on the most exciting racing of all racing cars and has a power to weight ration similar to an F1 car. You need to watch the "Dirty 30" show on Lucas Oil TV or look up some videos from Loudpedal on youtube, these will help you understand. Non-wing sprints are the purist form of racing available. No downforce, No cobbled up backyard engineering masquerading as being "sophisticated", just High Horsepower, throttle control and bravery. Its like a Motocross bike and a ProStock drag car came together and exploded out of the corner, wheels in the air, mud flying everywhere and 900HP begging to be unleashed.
    Last edited by Aces&Eights; 05-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Yeah, what Aces said. As far as DLM's being more safe or cheaper, NOT. DLM's are turning over more and more and the rate of concussion related injuries is on the rise, FACT. It takes more equipment, more help and more man hours to prepare a (1) DLM than it does 4 wingless sprints. If you look at Crates in both DLM & Sprints, its exponentially cheaper to run a sprint, in both hours and money. Easier to work on and you need less equipment.
    Politically Incorrect.

I'm not a sprint car guy, although I have driven them before. With that being said a sprint car is simply the most thoroughbred race car on the planet and there is just something sexy about that. JMO