Thread: what helmet?

Default what helmet?

I realize that this is more of an opinion than fact but what helmets do you guys like? I had an impact champ and switched to a simpson diamond back which I do not like. I find myself constantly pulling it down in the front and in a super I really don't need to be fiddling with a helmet every lap lol!!! lets hear what you guys like and why.

I have a Bell K.1 Sport. I used to use Simpson stuff, but like you said had to constantly pull it down in the front. I have a rather large head that unfortunately does this "conehead" thing at the top, but the Bell fits well.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 10-11-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

I've used several brands of helmets over the years and my favorite is a Bell Dominator. It has some really good aero properties and is light weight with out getting into something that's 100% carbon fiber. There's a lip on the front of it that keeps your head down so it doesn't buffet in the wind. Its also a lot easier to hold your head up at the end of a long race with a lighter helmet.

If you ever want to judge the aero properties of a helmet, just hop on a motorcycle and run it up to 100mph. The helmets that have a larger frontal area(flatter in the front/more blunt) experience more buffeting that move your head around a lot more making your muscles tire quicker trying to counter act the motion.

Also, different brands tend to fit certain head shapes better/worse.

I'm in the market for a new helmet and have been doing some research. I think it's ridiculous they don't give weights!

were you fitted for the helmet, or did you just buy a size? I Have the impact air vapor and have no problems, but i got fitted for it, was running a large and i kept having to pull it down, turns out i needed a medium. they sell the pads to make the helmet fit tighter

Quote Originally Posted by Kwoods25 View Post
    were you fitted for the helmet, or did you just buy a size? I Have the impact air vapor and have no problems, but i got fitted for it, was running a large and i kept having to pull it down, turns out i needed a medium. they sell the pads to make the helmet fit tighter
    the helmet "fit" I just didnt like the way that it fit. I think a simpson isn't a good fit for my fat face lol. in reality my impact fit 10 times better than the simpson. I ordered a bell gtx2 today I hope I am happy with it.

lol I hear you! bell is good stuff

I also had a diamondback that I ran and thought I liked it til I put my new bell on. I will never wear another brand helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by HuckleberryB4 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new helmet and have been doing some research. I think it's ridiculous they don't give weights!
    Have you tried calling the manufacturers? My direct line at Bell is 217-239-5363 I will gladly give you any information you are looking for.

I've had them all . I'm currently using impact and it feels nice but I think I'm going back to a bell next year.

I've got the Bell M.1 with the fresh air and it's awesome. I'm runnin the 5 gallon version, er, I mean the XXL, very comfy!
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com