Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default nitrogen in tires

I was wondering if guys where running nitrogen in stead of air in there tires??

I can guarantee you the winner of any big race is or other gasses. There are a few different things used. Depends what you want to accomplish though.

That means there is a lot left on the table then. After a dry slicked off feature what are your tires inflated to?

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    I run air and I won night one of the Jackson Nationals this year as well as top 6 at pretty much ever special around my area from Iowa to Kansas and in between the last 6 weeks.

I race with Abelson and Sobbing pretty much every time out, Abelson won the Clash at Knoxville, as well as 28 or 29 other features about the same for sobbing.. both run AIR.

Ive only been in probably 25 big races this year and I would bet less than 3 of them were won with anything other than air in a IMCA modified. I ran nitrogen when it was free and I ran pavement for 10 years, but mainly because I didn't have a generator or air compressor.
    I think you are full of hot air just kidding

I have never bought into that nitrogen deal… the air we breath is 78% nitrogen to begin with… can't imagine another 22% is going to produce miracles. But I've been wrong before… just ask my wife.

The nitrogen is dry. Compressed air has moisture in it. The moisture(water) expands more when heated. That's the reason for the nitrogen. I've used it often when I raced on asphalt. It make a big difference there. Don't know of anyone using it on dirt.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

I ran on a real dry slick track last weekend and the car was real good running up front for bout 5 laps then just falls off and I checked the tire pressure right after the race and both rear tires where 10 pounds higher

If both rear tires are growing that much, you need to learn throttle control. That's from spinning the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Don't worry about my pressure, I merely pointed out that you haven't got a clue, most of us run air.. I race mostly BIG specials with ALL the big names pretty much every time out. Even when I go to weekly shows in my area there are at least 2-3 past national champions racing against me and guys that have accumulated hundreds of wins.
    If you're not using something besides air you're not as consistent as you can be. I can GUARANTEE that. So before you start thinking you're the baddest and faster guy here you better work on your consistency program because its definitely lacking 👍

Section 14: TIRES AND WHEELS: .....Rim-mounted bleeder valves allowed.

Straight from the IMCA Modified rules.
    No real reason to spend the extra time and money. For Nitrogen to be 100% effective, the tires should be mounted with it and never use compressed air to fill them.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I stay with compressed air because I can adjust it quickly and it's more more convenient that having to carry around a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by fast hot rod View Post
    I ran on a real dry slick track last weekend and the car was real good running up front for bout 5 laps then just falls off and I checked the tire pressure right after the race and both rear tires where 10 pounds higher
    Oh don't worry Hot Rod you're doing better than Jeff Joldersma. When he raced at Stuart this idiot fell off over a half second and is still wondering why. He had at least 10psi more in the rears. This guy is slacking and thinks he is the baddest guy out there. Sorry buddy go get some other type of gas andmake sure it says "thanks to dirtracer9x I'm more consistent" 👍😂

Congrats. Now maybe you should figure out why your car gives up so much time so fast. Consistency obviously isn't apart of your program.

There are bleed off valves that compensate for air pressure gains.
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

run air here, but have two water separators mounted in line from compressor to hose reel.
    I empty about 1/2 a cup or water every month or so between the two canisters

Nitrogen on a dirt track has no use, not even on a slick track. Tried it and it didn't gain us much. With compressed air straight from trailer compressor we only had a .5 psi gain on a very slick and dry track on both rears, and nitrogen was about half that, so .25 psi. I do not think that will make or break you. That isn't even enough to grow a tire.

Just wasted money on snake oil. PSI gains come mostly from poor throttle control, getting too sideways on a slick track, and spinning the tires down the straights.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

It DOESN'T matter what you use. I consult with many asphalt AND dirt teams. What does matter is if you know where your RACING your tires. If you know you gain 4psi from Nitrogen as compared to 8psi vs Compressed air you can compensate to make sure once your in racing conditions your stagger and tire is performing how you want it. Why do you think the NASCAR boys can kill a Qualifying run with to low or pressures and why they start off race runs with low pressure or why if they have a late caution and pit the don't start off with pressure that would be for a longer full tire run. TEST take Cold PSI and Hot PSI sizes compare everything. Bleeders help you just have to be careful if you make a hot adjustment. Stop cutting people down on here a lot of use can post pedigrees or resumes but that's not the point some of us here just want to share information and help someone who wants help run better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Dubya View Post
    Nitrogen on a dirt track has no use, not even on a slick track. Tried it and it didn't gain us much. With compressed air straight from trailer compressor we only had a .5 psi gain on a very slick and dry track on both rears, and nitrogen was about half that, so .25 psi. I do not think that will make or break you. That isn't even enough to grow a tire.

Just wasted money on snake oil. PSI gains come mostly from poor throttle control, getting too sideways on a slick track, and spinning the tires down the straights.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    It DOESN'T matter what you use. I consult with many asphalt AND dirt teams. What does matter is if you know where your RACING your tires. If you know you gain 4psi from Nitrogen as compared to 8psi vs Compressed air you can compensate to make sure once your in racing conditions your stagger and tire is performing how you want it. Why do you think the NASCAR boys can kill a Qualifying run with to low or pressures and why they start off race runs with low pressure or why if they have a late caution and pit the don't start off with pressure that would be for a longer full tire run. TEST take Cold PSI and Hot PSI sizes compare everything. Bleeders help you just have to be careful if you make a hot adjustment. Stop cutting people down on here a lot of use can post pedigrees or resumes but that's not the point some of us here just want to share information and help someone who wants help run better.
    72Dubya puts absolutely no heat in his tires at all. That's what he just explained.

I answered the original question I'm not sure why it pulled the quote I didn't think I clicked it. A cold tire is either the wrong compound, grooving, siping, or not checked immediately. Every compound has a different heat range you can check the manfacturer but to say someone is losing races because they are on compressed air is asinine. When at race temp and pressure they tire doesn't know what gas is in it. the error factor is the human working on it not the gas thats in it. If you don't account for buildup thats your own fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRacer9x View Post
    72Dubya puts absolutely no heat in his tires at all. That's what he just explained.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    I answered the original question I'm not sure why it pulled the quote I didn't think I clicked it. A cold tire is either the wrong compound, grooving, siping, or not checked immediately. Every compound has a different heat range you can check the manfacturer but to say someone is losing races because they are on compressed air is asinine. When at race temp and pressure they tire doesn't know what gas is in it. the error factor is the human working on it not the gas thats in it. If you don't account for buildup thats your own fault.
    Go tell a cup team to go run compressed air 👍

When I raced asphalt I saw a significant difference between air and nitrogen. Like others have stated on dirt it doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference. I think what kind of lubricant you use to mount your tires makes a bigger difference. The end goal is to have the least amount of moisture inside your mounted tire regardless of what gas you are using.