Default Rubbered up track

We ran one last night and it ruined two rr tires, they had a stop at half way. We did loosen car up before the feature but it still ruined a tire and it was the hardest tire we had. Most cars ruined the rr, but 2 and they ran the same rr the whole race. One won and the other was 3rd. I hope I never race on a rubbered up one lane track again but what else could we have done to help with the rr. Thanks
    Last edited by washeduptoo; 10-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Less J-bar angle and more RR air. Free the car up everywhere thru the corners. Don't run RR heavy on that type of track. It will kill the RR tire every time. It's like running on asphalt. I like rubbered up tracks but not one groove tracks.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

We did increase rr tire pressure 3, from 12-15 but might not have been enough. We didn't take angle out of jbar but we did discuss that. We added a 1 inch spacer to rr hoping that would do the trick. Rubber track very seldom happens around here at night, usually happens during day races. We broke anyway but its always good to learn something for the next time. Thanks

If possible run a softer tire
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

We're limited on what tires, ARkk704, some are softer than others for sure. Can you explain your thought process on softer tires? Thanks

Softer tire has more tread compliance. When the track is all rubbered up, there is a lot of available grip. Harder tires take many laps to heat to optimum temperatures. The tread surface softens first and chunks away from the cooler core of the tire.

Thanks for explaining your thought process, I appreciate it.

Happy to help

Do you have any examples of front running cars running soft tires on a rubbered up track? Because I was at a practice day and the track was rubbered up and I thought that that I could run a soft tire on the RR and LR for the 8 lap session without hurting it too much but it took off over 1/4 of the tread on both. Ran one compound harder and they just started to fire at the end of the session.

I just do not get your point, if there is more available grip, you would want to use a harder compound because you will be able to use that grip without wearing or heating your tire as much, and the traction will come in predictably, not all from the start and then it fades away after a few laps like with a soft tire.
    Last edited by 72Dubya; 10-19-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

Heat kills tires. Friction creates heat. Now which tire will create more friction? That's your answer.

How was your tire prepped in respect to grooving and siping?
    Quote Originally Posted by washeduptoo View Post
    We ran one last night and it ruined two rr tires, they had a stop at half way. We did loosen car up before the feature but it still ruined a tire and it was the hardest tire we had. Most cars ruined the rr, but 2 and they ran the same rr the whole race. One won and the other was 3rd. I hope I never race on a rubbered up one lane track again but what else could we have done to help with the rr. Thanks

They were grooved and siped, in hind sight I think we should keep a tire just siped for such tracks but we very seldom run into this unless its a day race but its always good to have information when needed. Probably should have taken wheel cover off to let some heat out.Thanks
    Last edited by washeduptoo; 10-20-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Driving style can have a huge influence on tire life on rubbered tracks.

Drive the car "tight" so that it has a little bit of a push on entry. You want to be able to be off the throttle entering the corner all the way to the apex. To do this, you need to make sure you enter the corner hard enough and straight enough to keep the RR tucked in behind the RF until mid-corner. No brakes to be used once you turn the wheel left to enter the corner.

As the car approaches mid-corner, slowly pick up the gas until the car rotates, and then slowly roll into it on exit. Even when traction isn't an issue, don't just floor it - slowly roll into it.

I always try to keep a slight push in the car when the track is rubbered, and have my won fair share of one-groove races. You'll never wreck a RF tire, but can easily kill a RR. If you keep the car tight or pushing, the RR tire is going to live a lot longer than if you're turning the wheel to the right.

Thanks for the tips and I think your right about driving style having a big influence on the tire life. Thanks

Skid pad testing shows otherwise Jeff. Credible source please if you want to single my input out to discredit it. Thanks!