Default imca sport mod engine.

We're looking at building a motor for a imca sport mod. they have very tight rules on the non crate motor. We have the 882 oem heads and the required intake with a 500 cfm holley carb. we are going with a .040 350 block we pretty much have everything but the cam lifters and valve springs whats a truly good cam. we're not looking at breaking the bank on this just to go out and run good and maybe win a few but have fun with it. the cost of racing has taken the sport out of it so we're just looking to have fun with this one.
    Last edited by racin6mod; 11-16-2014 at 02:16 PM.

howard cams 111671-08, 243/243/108 with .508 lift

I've got a gm performance cam pn #3965754 I'm told this cam works very well in low cr motors like the sportmod requires. With the 1.5 roller rocker it has .488 in /.509 ex 112 lobe centerline 318/327 duration @.050

SOunds like your trying to use parts ya got around, put them back on the bench and get a crate.

I wouldn't give up and go to a crate yet claims can be built to run with them and be just as reliable for around the same money.

I have a shop full of parts and after a few pm's from guy's that read the post the numbers that were being listed were very close to this cam. The guy that had this came was building 2bl race motors for imca cars and he was pretty good at his craft.

I have been doing some research on you gm camshaft 3965754 and based upon the specs I found on it the major intensity is quite a bit slower (less radical ramp speed) than what a modern day racing camshaft would have. The other issue I see with that grind is the amount of duration at .050 lift which is too much for having a wide lobe seperation would probly be soft out of the corner which depending on how you drive could be a good thing. If it was up to me I would opt for a more modern grind just by using an updated lobe could gain 20-25 hp plus more power under the curve. Camshaft plays a big factor in how the engine will perform its not a place to scrimp.