Thread: Trailing arms

Default Trailing arms

On a 4 bar car what lengths of bars are most people running with the 604 engine. I have heard of some running as short as 10 or 12 inch on the lower left bar to help on rear steer? I believe I could shorten mine and help the car turn through out the corner. Mine are 16 and 18 inch but could be shortened easily. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of car is this? Do your 4-bar brackets on the frame have multiple rows of holes that will allow you to run that short? Is your car overly tight now?

Basically a Rocket Black copy. I would make some brackets to shorten them. The car has always been a little tight getting in. I've raised the RL bar which helped but still unable to flat foot it on the sweepy corners. Thought maybe the longer lower on the LB is keeping it from getting the rearsteer I need. Just thinking

It would help you some with rear steer.... but based on the track configuration you're describing, I think there are some other things I would try (f you haven't already) before getting the welder out.
    Flatten the j-bar some. Either lower on the frame or higher on the pinion. Adjustments on the pinion side usually have a more dramatic effect.
    Some "Rocket" guys may be able to provide you with better feedback but depending on where you are, you might also just consider more left side weight or a reduction in tail weight. Crate cars typically turn better with less than the baseline tail weight percentage.

Thank you Matt49, I will definitely try the J bar move. I have raised the left percent and reduced the rear percent, but it still wasn't quite there. Always ran more of a open engine and getting this crate figured out has me baffled, just got to get through my head that we don't have near the horse we used too. Thanks again Matt49, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

On the Rockets we lower Rear % Raise LS%, Raise Pinion side Jbar. Lower LF spring to around 450 depending on which Rocket your patterned after. The problem with the LS Shortner is it doesn't mean it could help it could do the complete opposite on entry if the roll steer comes out of the car. I normally lengthen RS bars over the normal stuff like I would with limited or open. Soften LR Spring to help it index onto the bars quicker. Run more of a slick track shock package. etc etc

Thanks 7uptruckracer, I'm with ya on the short bar taking the steer out when the car drops, which could make for a hand full. The suggestions Matt49 and yourself have provided gives me a good plan of attack for next season. Thanks again guys for the info, it's greatly appreciated.