Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default opinions on 428 sbc for mod

thinking about going a different route this year. wanting to build a 428 sbc flat top 76cc head, small cam, kinda like the create cam, hydrolic. want to run tms track in the spring, 3/8 small bank, sweeping corners. goes dryslick fast. any thoughts? will also run on 1/4 mile small bank sweeping corner track.

Just curious, but why are you wanting such a big motor if you plan on low compression and small cam? It would be much less expensive to build a mild 355 or 383. JMO
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

heat races are tacky and fast thus big motor. but for the dry I wanted to take the instant power away. I may be thinking about this all wrong.

When you say TMS, do you mean the dirt track @ TX motorspeedway in Ft. Worth?

yes. ive heard its a dryslick nightmare

yes that's the track. built a new shaw to run there. haven't run the track before. just wanting to try something different.

Been several years since we were there and that was with a late model. But along the lines of what Confused posted above, think about what you are building. Myself I would get the compression up to at least 14:1 and go with a roller cam. OR if the slick part is a real concern then go down in cubic inch size.

The old saying is "there is a horse for every course" is very true.You can't build an engine for a 1/2 mile hammer down racetrack and expect it to hook up on a slick 1/4 mile.At some point you have to work on setup and driving.
    Features are what pays the money.Its nice to set on the pole but finishing 18th or 20th won't pay the bills.I have had little steel head engines that would not qualify good against the all aluminum engines but come feature time they were out to lunch.

I have a 14 to 1 388 but when its slick it hard to keep tires under it even with a good right foot. set ups im not too worried about. new car, im sure keven at shaw wont steer me wrong. so now im at the motor. just worried about the slick I guess.

Myself, before spending the money to build a 428 as you describe, I would stick with the 388 and work with gearing and setup. That is just my opinion though.

thanks b23

Stocky Boy can't keep a consistent time ill say that and you can't deny the watch little buddy. But that's not apart of his set up routine. 👍

I like the 428 idea, how about the option of putting a 2bbl on it when you wanna knock off a 100-150 +hp or so.
    Worked perfectly on our 14* roller 406 on a bone dry dusty 3/8 day 2 of a big show.

Easy to take some power away when you need it, hard to add when needed!
    Last edited by hogracer3d; 11-12-2014 at 08:09 AM.

I had john at jdr build me a 2 bbl this summer. you would be impressed with what that thing will do. what do you think would make a good set of heads for this build? maybe vortecs or open chamber darts?

If I may ask. What rules and where are you going to run weekly? IF you are running weekly that is.

imca rules. 1/4 med banked track. Kennedale speedway

Okay. I am in Plano and have a set of good open heads I would like to sell, but they will not work for IMCA.

If you cam the 428 to flatten out the torque curve, you can keep the car under you on the slick. Shorter headers can help out also. I agree with Stock Car Drive on this aspect. I also agree that the feature is where you make your money. However, you have to be able to make the feature first. And then, starting position is everything...so build that motor with compression, but get a flatter torque curve through your came and headers; then work on throttle positioning and gearing to get into the power curve earlier. No one said you have to have your foot all the way down on the throttle to run up front. Good luck.

I'd run a vacuum secondary carb.

that's whats on the new shaw