Thread: head choice

Default head choice

Trying to decide on a head for a usra modifed . I'm stuck between going with the brodix spch and AFR 220 eliminators. They will be going on a 383 with 14 to 1 pistons with 64 cc that is anyway. Cam is roller is .630int .630 exh 305 310 adv. Dur. What does everyone think the pros and cons are of these heads

We made the decision to go with spec head on our main motors. Looks like for 2015 we will have a back up with a set of Dart Iron Eagles.

Did you feel the spec head made decent power? I'll be switching from 200 iron eagles

Spec vs open gap will be closed up a little this year if they change the spoiler deal like I'm hearing

What do you mean as far as close the gap? Are they talking about completely taking the spoiler away for open heads?

2014 spec was 7in spoiler and open 5in spoiler.
    Hearing this year it will be spec 5in spoiler and open 4in spoiler.

I felt like with the spec it had a pretty big advantage at anything 3/8 and smaller. Not sure that will be the case anymore. Brodix must of cut back to sponsor money. Glad to see them taking some spoiler away though.

If that's the case then its a no brainer to go open head then. I guess I'll be waiting around to see what happens then.

They are out. Go check the interwebs for usra

If your looking at Afr the 227 is an awesome head

So if I'm reading right anything not spec headed or crate is considered open and has to weigh 2550??

Steel head flat tappet 2450, 5inch spoiler.
    "economy spec" 2,400 lbs.; 6-inch spoiler.
    Pump Gas Engine (2,450 lbs.; 5-inch spoiler)

If you build the AFR's with 10.5-1 and less than 363CI you can run the same as a roller spec motor. I think they really evened up the playing field with these rules

But yes if i understand it correctly and you build a 14:1 383 with the AFR's you will have to weigh 2550. If i was build from scratch i would probably do the economy spec. I think the AFR's take offset rockers as well. Not sure if you were going to get shafts or what.

Arrow

I was planning on going with the 220's they take all standard SBC. What confuses me is in the weight section it states all steel or aluminum raised runner heads or heads with valve angle less than 23° must weigh 2550. What about standard runner heads with 23° valve angle? or are they just considering that if you are running anything other than spec that its a raised runner head.

To me, if its doesnt fit in "Spec" "crate" or "flat tappet steel motor" or the "pump gas 363ci" its in the 2550 group. Might call to clarify. I know most tracks couldnt tech the rules last year. Now we have a-f it will really be a joke

This is still there:

17.5 If utilizing aluminum heads other than the BRODIX Aluminum Spec Heads, racecar must have a minimum fifty (50) pounds of weight in front of mid-plate.

yeah throw that on top of the 2550 and smaller spoiler.

The AFR 220 is a nice head, and so is the 227 but as mentioned the valve spacing is moved if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by LateModel B23 View Post
    This is still there:

17.5 If utilizing aluminum heads other than the BRODIX Aluminum Spec Heads, race car must have a minimum fifty (50) pounds of weight in front of mid-plate.

I DQ'd a guy at my track and a complaint was filed with USRA and it was determined that the rule is to read as "2550lbs total weight, 50lbs of that weight had to be in front of the mid plate"

It's not in addition too but where the weight bias needs to be.