Default MSD 6A, 6AL, or HVC??? Which one?

Curious which one of these I really need. Got a bomber with an HEI distributor. Confused on the various boxes available. The 6A and 6AL, what is the difference and these seem cheap compared to the 6A HVC.

Do capacitive discharge units like these even matter for a motor that never sees 7000?

Does it matter as in will it make you faster? No not at 7000 or less. A good module like the one msd sells for the hei will work great.

The 6a is based on the original msd multi spark cap box. Its been the std for years. The 6al is the same but with the rev limiter built in of which msd doesnt make a real good one anyway. The hvc on the other hand is a juiced up version that allows the use of the higher energy coil packs and does a much better job of delivering current to the coils. But you get that at a premium.

Hope this answers your question.

I have ran 6Al boxes on a limited latemodel with no problem. The HVC box however has failed a couple of time on my super latemodel.

the hvc has been my weapon of choice for years now . o failures. i use the hvc coils and and a digital zero cross triger system to light it though.

i know the cup guys had some issues before the zero cross distributor came out.