Thread: E85 carb

Default E85 carb

I am leaning towards running E85 next season and was wondering if anyone is running the ultra HP, and their thoughts about it?

not ultra but i had awesome luck with my e85 qf.

I ran a ultra HP E85 750 on my modified last season. I was very happy with it. I've tried several E85 carbs and the ultra hp is as good as any in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to see what it does on the dyno yet but on the track it was good.

Thanx for the reply's did you have to mess with the ultra? Or was it close out if the box?

They've only been out for less than a year and E-85 can be finicky to use so I expect them to have a long learning curve if they continue to try to build them. One generic calibration can't fit every engine either, so it'd be a compromise in most cases. You'd be eons ahead to get a good one from JDR or Stealth.

What makes E85 finicky?

You may buy one load that's 85% alky and the next might only be 70%… that's what I have heard. I'd like to run it next year with my 12-1 engine but my carb guy won't do one for me. I trust him so I'll run gas next season.

My ultra was close right out of the box with just a few adjustments. I agree a custom built carburetor could probably run better but for the cost difference I would take an out of the box ultra HP any day. Krooser, you are correct about the % variances. We seem to deal with different percentages every time we buy fuel. It's really not hard to adjust accordingly tho. I've been running a 383 with 12.8 compression on E85 since 2009 with no fuel related issues even when the ethanol content is 70%.

lookin for a good carb randy has one forsale good one also 815 541 2817

same here i have had good luck with it in my 13 to 1 383.

Was this variance on pump e85 or regular race e85 we ran into this this year I think next year we are gonna start on race e85 then work back to pump e85 the blend changes to e70 or so in fall /winter for easier starting even on e85 when it gets cool we sometimes have to give it a shot of brake cleaner on initial start up. We got some e50 yep e50 this year always carry checker to pump I did not and bought that junk. I think their delivery guy put gas in e85 tank by accident. The store gave us our money back when I showed them the fuel in the checker. A new car would probably never know the difference as it all computerized and would have adjusted for the e50 l think.