Default Nova Lowers help

putting nova lower on metric stub. the tie rod tube is hitting the bottom of the frame. I am setting ride height to builders spec then jack the a arm up. only getting 2 1/2 inch of shock travel before the tie rod tube hits the bottom of the frame.???

Do you have correct bump steer spacers to drop tie rod away from spindle? Also it is very common to run pre-bent ref tie rod.

We are running metric spindles. We would have to have a three inch spacer to get the right shock travel

Are you trying to find out what spacer lengths to run with nova lowers/metric spindles for tie rods?

I have not checked the bump yet. going off last years car I was getting 4 to 5 inches of right front shock travel from ride height with ump lower. If I try to get that much with the nova lower the tie rod will hit the frame. from ride height I only get 2 1/2 inch of shock travel and the tie rod hits. I would have run a 2 to 2 1/2 spacer to keep from hitting, I have never run that much of a spacer ??

I take it you can't notch the frame , or change the angle of the idler arm and steering box . A bent tie rod tube helps . Your spacer for bump is gonna be between 7/8" to 1 3/4 would be my guess . The Camaro centerlink will help some , as it moves the tierod out farther .What ride height are you at ?

I switched my car to nova lowers last winter, I ran through the bump and have a 1" 9/16 spacer in the RF and a 3/16 spacer in the LF. My car will bottom out the RF shock right before the tierod hits the frame. But ur car might take a different spacer. U need to run ur car through bump before u start worrying about the tierod hitting the frame. Camaro/ afco centerlink makes a big difference also, it moves the tierods out a couple inches, which moves the inner pivot out, which gives alittle more frame Clearence. So my advice is set the ride height, set ur caster/camber then run it through bump and see what u come up with. Then put ur spacer in and see if it still hits the frame, if so then u can worry about getting a bent tierod or notching the frame. Hope this helps

Didn't realize u were just switching from tube loweres to stock lowers till after I posted that last one. I'm assuming ur car is a pierce since ur username is pierce88? So the chassis was built with tubular nova lowers! I know theirs alittle difference between the tube lower and the stock lower, not sure how much but I wouldn't think its that much. Did u put the same balljoint in the stock lower that u had in the tube lower? Hope some of this helps.

Stock Nova lowers and used on the opposite side on a Metric chassis, Right on left, and left on right. I'm sure you're way past this but just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Tucker Motorsports View Post
    Didn't realize u were just switching from tube loweres to stock lowers till after I posted that last one. I'm assuming ur car is a pierce since ur username is pierce88? So the chassis was built with tubular nova lowers! I know theirs alittle difference between the tube lower and the stock lower, not sure how much but I wouldn't think its that much. Did u put the same balljoint in the stock lower that u had in the tube lower? Hope some of this helps.
    yes nick it is a brand new pierce going to race IMCA next year.built with nova lowers and using pierce lower ball joints. I am going to try the camaro center link. run through bump and go from there.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by setup479point2 View Post
    I take it you can't notch the frame , or change the angle of the idler arm and steering box . A bent tie rod tube helps . Your spacer for bump is gonna be between 7/8" to 1 3/4 would be my guess . The Camaro centerlink will help some , as it moves the tierod out farther .What ride height are you at ?
    really dont want to notch the frame ist a brand new car.

Ride hidth measurment in ft. increases half an inch on both sides when going from tubular lowers to stock lowers on pierce cars. should be 17 inches center to center on rf if you have lower shock mount in right place on lower arm.

Every car out of my shop gets frame notched ( if legal ) . Cut out a rounded section and weld in a split piece of 1 3/4 tube . If something is gonna bottom I want it to be the lower . Surprised it isn't already done by Pierce. Higher ride heights will give more clearance .

tim slam it together and run it (your professor silato)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Ride hidth measurment in ft. increases half an inch on both sides when going from tubular lowers to stock lowers on pierce cars. should be 17 inches center to center on rf if you have lower shock mount in right place on lower arm.
    So Pierce says to run 6.5" with nova stamped lowers and metric spindles?

Pierce ride ht is set by measuring center to center of ft shock bolts. with tube lowers rf is 16.5 inches, lf is 16 inches. With stock lowers rf is 17 inches, left ft is 16.5 inces per setup manual.

when I put the ride height at 17 center to center rf I jack the lower a arm up I can only go 2 1/2 inches of shock travel before the tie rod tube its the frame ??

Do you have the 80 camero inner tie rod ends? With the camero center link the rf will need a bump spacer. Start around 3/4 of an inch.