Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moving metric rear upper arm mounts

is there anything to be gained by adding another hole above the stock frame locations on the rear uppers?
    I made a bracket to add a hole above the left rear lower thinking its somewhat like a late model where you get increased bite by putting more angle in the bars..
    I plan on adding a little length to the arms to keep the wheelbase the same but the way the factory mounts are made it would take some creative cutting to get a little more out of the uppers?
    wondering if anyone has tried this or if there is a better way,basic rule is its legal if there is no panhard bar but some of the guys last year had the lr hiking up like they were running birdcages.
    thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRacer9x View Post
    Raise ride height?
    no..keep the ride ht where it should be but put more angle in the upper arms.
    I see guys running lower brackets on the rearend that almost touch the ground,since you can't lower the uppers..would it be beneficial to raise the mounts?

There is an easier way to move the upper frame mounts on the chassis if that is what you want to do. You move the entire rear frame crossmember up or down. Really easy to do and the stock mounts in the crossmember never get touched. There are a couple big rivets to knock out and a little cutting and then you can put it where ever you want.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    No

why are they running the lowers to the ground? if you don't know then why would you do it?
    did you even read what I posted?

or do you just randomly throw off your 4th grade attitude?

You must be on your meds right now because you're not going off on people as much haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer96m View Post
    There is an easier way to move the upper frame mounts on the chassis if that is what you want to do. You move the entire rear frame crossmember up or down. Really easy to do and the stock mounts in the crossmember never get touched. There are a couple big rivets to knock out and a little cutting and then you can put it where ever you want.

Dave
    thanks Dave,I looked at either doing that or just cutting the existing metal to add more adjustment.
    was just wondering if the work would be worth it.
    I don't know who you are Scd or what you're selling but I thought I made it clear in my first post that adding angle helps forward bite,ten years of running Rockets taught me that..I just don't have alot of experience trying to adapt the same principals to a Sportsman type car.
    our rules have finally opened up to what most guys have been allowed to do for years and I'm looking at ways to be competitive..

Jet says, "LR angle adds drive to that tire".

Im not knocking anyone else, but my advice would be to listen to what dave has to say. I know first hand that he knows what he talking about,and is very free with his helpfull advice.

Thanks Rick. There is many setups that can win. When we ran metrics, I had alot of angle in the uppers and yes that raises your rear roll center and will cost you side bite if that is all you do,so like anything else you have to work in other areas to compensate for that. I also had angle in the LR lower, to aide the roll steer. My car never carried the LF, I like 4 tires working more than 3. We were rather successful running this way, but like I said, there are many setups that can win.

Dave
    Last edited by Racer96m; 11-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Stocky boy has left the building 👍👍👍 Go back to Cali loser.

You obviously have a problem with the guy, but lets not junk up every thread with this crap, starting to remind me of $UMP$ in the gossip section, and thats not a good thing. lol

Thanks Rick. There is many setups that can win. When we ran metrics, I had alot of angle in the uppers and yes that raises your rear roll center and will cost you side bite if that is all you do,so like anything else you have to work in other areas to compensate for that. I also had angle in the LR lower, to aide the roll steer. My car never carried the LF, I like 4 tires working more than 3. We were rather successful running this way, but like I said, there are many setups that can win.

Dave
    I never wanted to try it to lift the left front but was more interested in having the car hike up the left rear coming off the turn..get it up on the bars so to speak.
    didn't want to start a pissing contest with this thread,just wanted to know if the reward justified the work involved.
    thanks for the replies..
    Danny

There is no one magic thing that makes a crappy car and an average driver now win. Its alot of things working together. Is it worth it? You would have to be the judge of that. All I can comment on is what I did. When I got the car the way I wanted it, (took 3 seasons to sort) the thing drove its self and was very hard to beat. I threw a 16yr old kid in the car that never drove anything and a couple years later won the National Title.

Dave

SCD would be correct, I ran 57% rear with a ton of LR. All lead was left of the center line. We didnt have a spoiler, but the UMP tires are better. Getting it balanced is the key so you get your side bite, but dont roll over on the RR so hard that it carries the LF. Took alot of work, but thats what I like to do.

Dave

SCD would be correct, I ran 57% rear with a ton of LR. All lead was left of the center line. We didnt have a spoiler, but the UMP tires are better. Getting it balanced is the key so you get your side bite, but dont roll over on the RR so hard that it carries the LF. Took alot of work, but thats what I like to do.

Dave
    What are you calling a ton of LR?

I ran it 440LBS LR heavy.

Dave

A little research will prove that Dave and SCD were both very successful street stock racers. On a national scale.They are nice enough to participate, and yet someone tries to run one of them off. Unreal.
    You don't see Jimmy Owens or Steve Francis responding to questions in the late model section.

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    A little research will prove that Dave and SCD were both very successful street stock racers. On a national scale.They are nice enough to participate, and yet someone tries to run one of them off. Unreal.You don't see Jimmy Owens or Steve Francis responding to questions in the late model section.
    Activate your old account 👍. You can go away stocky friend.

I ran it 440LBS LR heavy.

Dave
    Did you run a lot of stagger when u ran 440 lbs of bite

Yes, the "Big Bite" setup only works if you can get it to turn so lots of stagger when its heavy and less when its slick. I had at least 2" of stagger even on the slickest of tracks. Its a combination of Stagger, Offsets, Rear steer, left side weight and weight placement. You have to be able to read the track and make the necessary adjustments, nothings ever easy.

Dave