Default Head and neck restraints.

I am going to get one this off season and am wondering what you guys recommend? Or have you run different types and like one over another. The one I am looking pretty hard at is the Simpson hybrid sport.

Which ever you choose . Get a full containment seat. Without the side impact support of a real head support system you are putting yourself in more danger than without a neck restarint. There are seats out there they call full containment but are not suitable for use with a Hans type device. Do your homework don't be another statistic.

I recently got a Hans I used the Hutchins for years it was really more of a hassle to me. The Hans I like but wish it had something to hold the weight of the helmet for me.

No doubt the Simpson Hybrid device performs very well, but you have to contend with the straps and not being able to remove it easily before exiting the car.

If you have ever tried to exit a car thats upside down you will know it can be rather difficult especially with all of this added safety gear we are using these days. Having been in that situation before, with out any type of head/neck device, I had difficulty getting out of the car with my containment seat. I wasn't able to get out by myself without taking my helmet off first. I'm smaller than the average driver as well and in good shape.

So when I finally started looking for a head and neck device I knew I didn't want something that would impede my exit. I wanted something that I could undo easily. I didn't want something that might get me hung up in my car and keep from getting out.

This is why I went with the Necksgen REV this past season. Out of all the devices, its the most compact and can easily be undone. It also has better side impact protection than the HANS.

As far as comfort goes, it took a little getting used to but I don't mind it at all now. You still have good side vision and enough freedom to see/do what you need to in the car. I've been very satisfied with it

Regardless of the device, I also recommend using a tether that connects both release pins together. With the dual tether set ups where the release pins are not connected, you have to fumble for the tethers and take twice as long disconnecting. You don't have these problems with the single tether. Its velcro'd to your helmet so its in the same spot every time, and one pull and the pins release.

For more info on the Necksgen device, see www.necksgen.com. I also sell these if you are interested.

There are some SAE reference charts comparing a few different devices here:

http://dragpartsusa.com/i-16585790-s...FU6CMgodXU4AGg

Good Pro's/Con's comparing devices:
    http://www.racedaysafety.com/whhenere.html

I use the Hans, I'm not sure any "hold the weight of the helmet" my seat layback pretty much makes my Hans rest against the seat and my helmet to the hans. I use the Halo style helmet surrounds on my containment and have no vision issues. I've used Hutchens which I hated and the Hybrid which I really liked as well. What I did was found fellow racers with one of each style borrowed them and sat in my seat. Pick which one you like best Definitely get the CORRECT seatbelts and CORRECT seat. They do make belts that taper down in size where it will fit your Head and Neck Restraint correctly

I haven't used anything but the Impact Necksgen and have been very satisfied with it. Once the race starts you forget its on. No problems with restricting movement in any direction. The single release sounds like a great option.

As far as I know none of them actually protect you from side impacts. If you have an instance like Jason lefler encountered you need the head support to protect yourself from the device that you are using to protect yourself from forward trauma.

Get a real containment seat and don't cut off the head support. It's these seats that the neck restraints are ment to be used in conjunction with.

During a side impact your head can be manipulated by the tethers in such a way as to break your neck! Don't buy one without the seat period! You end up like Jason lefler did .

Nope NONE do only frontal and twisting. No Lateral protection. They recommend fixed 180 helmet surround supports. Not the bolt on Flapper Style helmet supports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    As far as I know none of them actually protect you from side impacts. If you have an instance like Jason lefler encountered you need the head support to protect yourself from the device that you are using to protect yourself from forward trauma.

Get a real containment seat and don't cut off the head support. It's these seats that the neck restraints are ment to be used in conjunction with.

During a side impact your head can be manipulated by the tethers in such a way as to break your neck! Don't buy one without the seat period! You end up like Jason lefler did .

I too just purchased a containment seat and have been pondering what to get. I'm used to the helmet support that my next brace has done in the past. Now to find a device and helmet that are comfortable out of the box, can't afford to be buying multiple stuff. Thanks for any direction you can help with

Thanks for the answers and info so far. I posted this in this Late model forum because you guys are the ones I expect to be using all the good safety equipment. I am running a Mini Stock mustang right now but will be moving up to Sport Mods and will be using the same seat and other safety stuff when I switch over. I have a butler built seat now but it isn't a containment type. Is the bolt on stuff you can get to make it a containment type seat worth using? Or should we just buy something new?

Great topic

I would but new not the bolt on stuff. I actually switched a few years ago I got put in the wall and the RR just sheared off and I had a pretty hard side impact it destroyed the car. I had the kind of seat you mentioned at the time and it twisted the seat and headrests. Its best in these kinda of impacts and worth the money to get a good proper containment seat it pays for itself in one avoided hospital visit IMO.

The bolt on support system from ISP will pass sfi on just about any seat out there. If you cannot afford the whole seat I can set one up for you with the stealth system for atoun 580 bucks installed.

Any more opinions???