Thread: falcon trans?

Default falcon trans?

any thoughts on this trans? going standard this year started looking at prices and the falcon sells for 1259.00 to were bert and brinn are 1695.00. and which light weight bell is everyone using? like I said first time running one of these and I want to do it rite. thanks in advance. charlie

I have ran one for over 10 years, overall it has been a good transmission. Sometimes has been hard to shift or grinds from here to there, but getting 7 season between the last rebuild was expected. If I was buying new I would probably get again due to price, I do like the Brinn's but they do cost more.

We run a Falcon, put new clutches in it every season and its good to go. The Bert and Brinn are smoother but once its in high they are all the same. I cant say anything bad about it, no problems in over 90 nights.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

thanks guys

Only thing I've seen in the Falcon that i don't care for , is the tailshaft has no bushing , so its sloppy inside , that said , it doesn't seem to cause any trouble . Most of my guys are running Berts . Best thing with the Falcon is parts cost .

What do you mean? My falcon is a first generation, it uses a needle bearing on the tailshaft, which you turn or polish a standard yoke and it slides smooth. That said if you loose the driveshaft you often destroy the bearing also.

Maybe the ones I've seen had a problem . Driver said they were like that out of the box , he had 3 of them , the shaft was sloppy in them . If I'm wrong I apologize .

Quote Originally Posted by setup479point2 View Post
    Maybe the ones I've seen had a problem . Driver said they were like that out of the box , he had 3 of them , the shaft was sloppy in them . If I'm wrong I apologize .
    They may have changed them, I have one of the first ones. The issue I have had if I do not polish the yoke is that it is hard to slide in and out... Polish it and smooth as silk. I know they made changes a few years back, primarily around the clutch packs, but they may have changed bearings as well or done something different on the rear also...

There is slop in the tail shaft splined shaft that the yoke slides into when the yoke is not installed. When the yoke is installed it centers the spined shaft and the outside of the yoke rides on the roller bearings in the end of the tail shaft. So when its all assembled there is no slop. And yes, if you loose a driveshaft it will take out the roller bearing on the way out, if you dont replace it when that happens, you will chase a vibration forever.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Racer96m View Post
    There is slop in the tail shaft splined shaft that the yoke slides into when the yoke is not installed. When the yoke is installed it centers the spined shaft and the outside of the yoke rides on the roller bearings in the end of the tail shaft. So when its all assembled there is no slop. And yes, if you loose a driveshaft it will take out the roller bearing on the way out, if you dont replace it when that happens, you will chase a vibration forever. Dave
    Thanks for the explanation , that makes sense . All I knew was it was sloppy when driveshaft was out .