Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So where is the best place to buy a carbon fiber driveshaft? Is it advisable to get a new one over used?

Has anyone ran a fastshafts carbon fiber driveshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    If there is an advantage to a ball spline, to me it isn't worth the extra maintenance. And like you said huck, if it was a sure advantage, all the top guys would run them and they don't.
    I've seen way more u-joint/bolt failures than driveshaft failures. The last time I saw a carbon fiber drive shaft come apart was due to the 5th coil turning it down like it was in a lathe.
    I wouldn't sit in a car with a ball spline transmission and anything but CF for drive shaft to get my picture taken, much less race it. That is a dangerous situation.
    In most cases, you'll need a shorter shaft for the ball spline vs standard slip. Your chassis manufacturer or someone on here can tell you what you need.
    hi matt id have to say I haven't had any problems with aluminum drive shafts and i make ours out of longer shafts .carbon fiber is safer! but as far as loosing races, you will with a carbon fiber shaft. u joints on the other hand can be a problem if you don't keep up on them no matter what you have . the one thing I found that when using a ball spline it frees up the rear end movement. the drive shaft appears to act like a long toque arm lifting up further on the chassis , in my finding (another words R&D) it changed how the car acted . I am not saying a lot but enough for me to stay with ball spline .I know there is a bushing in a regular bert but I feel the upwards pressure lifts the car and I don't want that in my cars . I have no # to prove it one way or another but maybe someone does. maybe the big chassis builders are using it as a torque arm. just a thought

Has anyone ran a fastshafts carbon fiber driveshaft?
    We've run them the past few years without issue.

soo if I have a 640 hp motor would I need the 2,25 od or the 3.25 od in the wiles cf driveshaft thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lm#9 View Post
    soo if I have a 640 hp motor would I need the 2,25 od or the 3.25 od in the wiles cf driveshaft thanks
    It's not on their website anymore but the product description in many catalogs used to state that the 2.25 were for under 500HP. Better safe than sorry...I'd get the big one if I were you.

the reason ballsplines were so hot for awhile is because the yoke travels more in a ballspline compared to the standard trans but everyone found out later that they were traveling to much for the most part,lm#9 there is barely any difference in the weight of the small verses the bigger diameter shafts so i would go with the stronger one

thanks for the input