Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wehrs Lift Bar

I have run the Wehrs for 4 meetings, no problems.

When figuring un-sprung weight, any thing that is connected to the chassis, is only figured at half of the weight, is considered un-sprung. This would include J bar, Coil overs, Driveshaft, ect. The things attached to the Axle assy, at the south end of the spring, are figured at full weight, such as wheels, tires, brakes, rotors, bells, tubes, gears ect. Some of the time, what is saved is not enough to make up for loss of strength.

Someone should invent a new metal called unobtainium, weighs nothing and stronger and harder than Superman's knee cap, and all the weak links will be solved.

I weighed a MasterSbilt steel lift bar with all mounting hardware and the Wehrs aluminum. The MasterSbilt was only about 1 pound more so not much weight difference.
    But I will say this about the Wehrs: it sure is nice looking. Almost a shame nobody's going to see it.
    Last edited by Matt49; 12-20-2014 at 05:22 PM.

I tried to explain this concept a while back and was told to go pound sand. Glad somebody else used their brain and actually compared the aluminum to the steel piece. By the time you get the strength you need in the aluminum part, your weight savings will be gone. This holds true for pretty much any part. For strength, pound per pound, steel can't be beat. Until "unobtainium" is commercially available this will hold true!

It's the same concept on most of the constructions that go on around the world. Everyone would love to use aluminum for their structures, but steel ends up being the best option in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    I tried to explain this concept a while back and was told to go pound sand. Glad somebody else used their brain and actually compared the aluminum to the steel piece. By the time you get the strength you need in the aluminum part, your weight savings will be gone. This holds true for pretty much any part. For strength, pound per pound, steel can't be beat. Until "unobtainium" is commercially available this will hold true!
    Unless Titanium is in the budget!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Unless Titanium is in the budget!
    I think that is his "unobtainium"

We run Wehrs everything. Including the lift bar and we've yet to have any issues. Worth the money in our opinion. Ran it with open motors, crate motors, stell headed motors it don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm51 View Post
    We run Wehrs everything. Including the lift bar and we've yet to have any issues. Worth the money in our opinion. Ran it with open motors, crate motors, stell headed motors it don't matter.
    Where are you from? What tracks do you run? I feel like running in the south on the dirtfalt is waaayy different than banging the cushion at FALS.

We ran one all year at FALS and had no issues with it. Seems like guys break steel ones around here quite a bit and then it tears up alot of stuff when they do.

A quick question, do any of you see a tendency for the frame attachment mount, bending or braking before the J bar?

You may want to think about, how the driver gets on the cushion and set up for running it, for longer J bar life among other things like axles and drive shafts or gears. If you do a slide job, you will bang the cushion, you give it a tough test and are allowed some, but just running the high groove with success is dependent on how you get on it and being just a tick loose. This changes how strong it has to be. You can try to make cars fool proof, but we never make them driver proof.