Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump rod?

Default fuel pump rod?

I recently purchased an aluminum motor that had utilized a fuel pump ran off of the trans and has a cover plate and rod removed that drives the fuel pump. Are all of these rods the same or are there different sizes being used?

Different lengths. Check with original builder on correct one.

Cv products has a length checking template. You are much better off running a pump driven off the power steering pump and the block mounted pumps have barely enough volume to sustain full throttle conditions without running out of fuel

Ran all season with a block mount, never had one issue with fuel delivery even at Knoxville. You need to be sure the cam has a lobe for the block mount though, i have seen a few that didn't.

Talon it's your money so run the block mount if you think it's adequate. On issues like that I defer to people I believe know more than I do, 2 carb guys and my engine builder all say the block mount is barely adequate so a dsr on the power steering pump it is for me.

Ya, they have been telling me for a couple years now to do it, but like i said, no issues. I almost did it before Knoxville, that was the one place on our schedule that i was worried about, but didnt have any problems there, Eldora would be another place but we didn't race there at all. I think for the weekly guy running 3/8ths or smaller they shouldn't worry about it.

Nothing's wrong with a block mounted pumps as long as you have the correct stuff..

Thanks for help guys.
    Last edited by Race fan1; 01-02-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Block mout pump will be fine. The only time I see people wit fuel delivery issues is when they are using something else.

Think about it. They worked in nascar even back in the day of monster big blocks at taladega. Why wouldn't they work now?

No you think about it .... If your running a block mounted pump with a deadhead style regulator you do not have any excess fuel capacity as all fuel is being delivered to the carb. The belt drive uses a bypass regulator to send ADDITIONAL capacity back to the cell. Sustained WFO conditions are where the capacity is marginal and Gray you have never in your life held a car matted for multiple laps. With today's track prep those conditions don't occur very often and your car has to be free enough to take advantage of them when they are. When given the choice of hoping I have enough fuel or know (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) well I have plenty I will take option 2. There's an additional benefit to running the belt drive .... But I'm not going to waste time explaining it to people who know everything and never lose a race like the guys in here

Ok , today's motors must use more fuel than the late models of the late 70s running 454s with 2 big 4bbls on them right? That block mounted fuel pump on those big wide bore 480s that people have been running at eldora are just for show too.

Keep name calling and repeating how none of us know what you know. There are numerous ways to get enough fuel to these engines and they all work fine some are just cheaper and more reliable than others. Don't forget the weight benefit either. Or the engine load benefit. Or the cost of maintaining benefit.

I'll quit now sorry for hijacking. But this guy is an ego maniac from hell. Idk how that little frame holds that big a$$ head up.

As long as you are using a cv products billet pump or equivalent you won't have any trouble, I have them on motors from 400 through 450 wide bore and have had 0 issues on any of them.

Do you run a return line then off of the block mount pump? Whats the best and most efficient way to plumb up the block style pumps?

You can do it either way on gas. Use a 7 psi spring with no return or use the higher psi springs and run a bypass regulator and send overflow to tank. Makes no difference under race conditions.

Without the return you will see a variance in fuel pressure when you fist pull onto the track and throttle up usually a drop in pressure for just a short period. The retun with bypas stops this issue and also keeps the fuel cooler.

Gray honestly you deserve punched in the face for telling people run run a bypass regulator and return with a block mount
    Pump. A cv block mount pump is run to a deadhead style before the fuel log and you DONT use a return line with that kind of pump. What he just posted is not only wrong but it's dangerous

That's what I have been using without issue. That's the way braswell suggested i run it and last I checked I wasn't the one with fuel delivery issues at the world. So suck it!

Not to get into the middle of ya'lls slap fight but my friend plumbs his Pro Power engines the way BG suggested with no problems. He originally had them ran into a dead head but like BG said the pressure bounced all over the place. He went to the bypass and the needle never moves. Just saying. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

Jk This guy would argue with God .

I use the Race Pumps block mount with their regulator, and a return line. Setup for methanol. I fine tune my fuel pressure not only with the regulator, but also with a jet in the return line. Works like a hot (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), with double the fuel requirement of a gas motor.

We do the same thing with our regulator. I drill an tap the head valve to fit an air bleed jet in place . It insures all the air gets purged quickly . You can buy a regulator from brawell set up the same way.

It's a simple but very good trick to make sure your keeping as much air out of the system as possible.