Default LM setup for flat, narrow 1/4 mile tracks

I run a 2013 4 bar LM in New Zealand and would be interested in some feedback on setups. The car has to weigh 2390lbs with driver, I weigh 185lbs. Our tracks are predominately 1/4 mile, flat to minimal banking, narrow with a concrete wall on the outside. Our rules are liberal in some areas but not all, fuel injection is allowed for example but we have to run steel blocks and wheels! The majority of cars here run a sprint car open tube torsion bar rear with 105" right rears etc. I believe the four bar provides more traction but find I have trouble keeping the car up on the bars as you can't stay on the gas all the time in the corners due to the narrow tracks and the fact that the cars here tend to to drive more like a USAC sprint car, drifting high in the corners then coming back down. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What LR shock do you have?

Let them chop you down once they will do it over and over. Spin them out one time and they will remember not to chop you.

we really need to know what shock valving and springs you run , and any other info you can give us ( % , bite , bar positions , etc. )

Percentages are: Rear 54-55% Left 53-54% Start with 50 lbs in LR. Shocks are Bilstein: LF 6-2 450 lbs RF 12-2 350lbs one and a half inch gap between bump and bottom of shock LR 3-6 200 lbs LR front 00/60 140psi RR 3.5/3h 70psi 225lbs Lift bar is set at 32 inches, 6-2 400 lbs. I have been setting the bar heights at what would be considered standard settings. I should mention that our tire rules are open so on the right rear we run a 94/15/15 D10. All other tires are D10 also. Our races are shorter than in the USA, most features are 20 or 25 laps. We find we need to run 7-8 inches stagger for the first heat if the track is heavy. When I got the car I was given 3 and 1/8 th front ride height and 3 and 1/4 rear. Hope this helps.

More compression in both LR shocks and/or more PSI in the LR shock in front of the birdcage.

And if you're not to trail braking that is also something to consider.

I race next Saturday, it's summer over here, so I'll be able to try these suggestions. I do trail brake but have had to train myself to do it. I find I can enter the corners faster than my competitors most of the time but have to lift otherwise you will drill them. Unless you are running out front our tracks aren't wide enough to run wide open. We have one wide track, Baypark, this track is near double the width of most of our tracks. If you enter Josh Richards Baypark on Youtube you can see Josh carving up the locals back in 2011.

sent you a PM

I haven't run without the RF bumpstop. The percentages are with me in the car. I have two other RR shocks, a 4/1.5 and a 5/4h.

I hope guy's go watch the video's from this track before replying. very cool cars nothing like our latemodel's. I would say an eastern modified with a lm/prostock frontend some have a torsion bars upfront like a cup car with super street stock bodies. the radiator is mid mounted and as he said a huge rr tire. very cool I'd love to drive one and any place that has sprint car wings on tractors is a place to go!

back to the car I'd like to see a few photo's of your car's chassis we have a couple tracks here that look as flat as Baypark. with the 4 bar you'll be able to get the car to drive off the corner most are leaning on that huge rr tire. I couldn't see a cushion build up in any of the video's with this style car a cushion would be king!

Unfortunately Baypark is really the only track of this width we have in the country. It is 20 metres wide, 65 feet in the corners, Te Marua Speedway where we will race this Saturday is 40 feet wide in the corners. LM are called super saloons here, there is a super saloon association website that will have pictures of other tracks. You are correct in that there is very little cushion. We run our radiators over the rear end because our motors are 6 inches further forward, no1 plug has to be centre of the front stubs. I will post some photos later today.

Yeah Josh was driving what looked like a real latemodel and the others were in cars like I use to go to TAZ and other places in 1990's around Australia to race.. lol

These small flat tight tracks would a (gleason, etc) not be extremely helpful? Just a thought. Also agree on shock pressures or even getting more aggressive on dampening.

kiwi1955 was supposed to race this last weekend , with changes I gave him . Haven't heard back from him.