Thread: Engine offset

Default Engine offset

Hi,New guy here, building an asphalt modified and have no experience with them. Depending on engine, the rules state between 56% and 58% left weight. How much, if any, of the weight offset needs to be addressed with engine offset?. And is there a ballpark to start from?Thanks,Dan

Wrong tech forum for a good answer on asphalt stuff bud. Find a good chassis for sale and find out the offset and go from there. That's the best way to find out. Good luck.

Chas Howe @ Howe in Michigan can probably get you some more answers...

Just spent some time with the new rules, the only engine location rule I can find is 6' forward of the rear axle. I'll see if I can get ahold of Chas Howe for starters.Thanks,Dan

Depends on your total weight rules. I run an asphalt mod. We are 58% left and 2600lbs. We have a straight up car which we have to use different rims on to get left side and we have a car that is about 2" left offset on the engine. We don't really have a problem getting weight on the left side in that one and its an Impala Clip the other is a Ford Clip. We end up around 52% front weight as well. Our Impala is pretty much a Howe.

I'm going to set it up for 2" offset and elongate the mounting brackets so I can move it a little either way if I want to later.Thanks to all,Dan