Default need help to identify transmission

I just recently bought a mini stock 2.3. The shift lever was broke off where it has been welded on. I took out the 3 bolts securing the shift lever into the transmission and welded a new shift lever on. Now Im having an issue where the shifter is able to rotate. I dont think I have it lined up correctly but Im not sure. The guy I bought the car from said its a 2.14 transmission. There are 3 bolts securing the shift lever the trans. On the bottom side of the shift lever there is what appears to be an upside down U bolt and inside the transmission there is a small shaft. The shaft is at a slight angle and Im not sure if this is normal. Does anyone know what type of transmission this is so I can do some research on it? Should the shaft in the transmission be at an angle or should it be straight? Is there something Im missing when installing the shifter back into the transmission?

The three bolt plate indicates a Mustang Transmission vs a Pinto (screw in shift lever) Odds are it is a 2.14 to 1 second gear 4 speed. for more info try doing a search on this page for Mustang 4 speed....
    JerryM

Thanks Jerry! Yes, to my understanding it has the 2.14 2nd and is the 4 speed. Im having trouble getting the shift lever aligned back into the trans. At least thats what I think is the issue since the shift lever is rotating, I dont think I have the yolk on there correctly. Is there any specific way to get it aligned or is it just a trial and error until it lines up?

Find another or a picture on line and compare the shifter with the one you have, shouldn't be that hard to get it back together. Are you sure you have all the parts? To check the ratio, put it in gear, check # of turns of the input vs the output. Always check out the things others "tell" you!
    JerryM

I found a number plate on the trans. The top number is 83ET AGA and the bottom number is F0G 5H 266 (or last digit may be a G). Still trying to find something online that will help let me know if I have this shifter aligned correctly. There has to be a trans diagram somewhere online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here are some pics of the trans and shifter. Is the shaft inside the trans supposed to be bent like that? The builder of the car says that in the 2.14 trans yes they are bent. however Im not sure and cant find anything to compare it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BobbyD1120; 01-17-2015 at 08:30 PM.

The shaft in the transmission should be straight and there should be a plastic grommet on it. You,ll need to change the shifter shaft in the transmission.

Thanks Wild Blue. Thats what I was afraid of.

You should be able to straighten the bent piece. I would try before taking it apart. Also, you do not need the plastic grommet or bushing. It will work just fine without one. The u part will sit down over the bent piece when you get it straight. Wedge a big screw driver beside the tab and the side of the trans closest to the front, and then try to bend the other part straight with some pliers. If you get it straight, everything you have should work.
    Last edited by TM 44; 01-19-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Hmmm!

Shift handle broken off, shifter rail bent, might be worth looking inside the transmission before re-installing in the car.....
    JerryM

83 ET AGA This is a 2.14 transmission. There used to be a list on the net that you could go to, but it was removed. I wrote down most of the numbers. Went to the shop today and got the list, it is a 2.14

FYI for newbees. www.powerbyace.com has a final drive chart, transmission vs rear axle ratio. Its located in the technical section.