Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SLM98 View Post
    Before the days of LR shock behind cars we ran the LR clamped to the axle in front and the RR clamped behind the axle. We controlled traction off the torque arm. We lapped the field in a 35 lap feature with this setup
    What did you do with the torque arm to gain traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmod13 View Post
    What did you do with the torque arm to gain traction?
    What he means is that the more the torque arm moves, the more dynamic wedge the car picked up.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Default Crazy idea?

So with the rule of having the shock/spring ahead would this work?Pic is 90* off but you get the idea. It would allow birdcage to index into the front spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirtmod13; 01-15-2015 at 12:07 PM.

So with the rule of having the shock/spring ahead would this work?Pic is 90* off but you get the idea. It would allow birdcage to index into the front spring.
    That way downhill bar will kill forward bite.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I'd be curious to see how they actually interpret/enforce their own rule. With the spring having to be mounted "to the birdcage" does that mean you can't clamp it to the tube? And if it has to be a 4-Bar or Z-Link, I guess my suggestion would actually be a 5-Bar?
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 01-15-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Changed Link to Bar.

We ran the LR clamped up for years in the early 2000's. The car was as fast as they are today when you are out of traffic, the car would 3-wheel like crazy, but man was it fast when you where out front!

Did you run a 90/10 on top of the rearend to control it going into the corner? I vaguely remember those days. Seems like they would "crash" down when you let off. I also like the short, straight panhard bar idea!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Did you run a 90/10 on top of the rearend to control it going into the corner? I vaguely remember those days. Seems like they would "crash" down when you let off. I also like the short, straight panhard bar idea!
    I thought I saw a jbar rule mentioned. Was frame mount on left and over driveshaft to rt side of pinion. But read through 2 times and can't find it now. Back to the x link in front, couldn't it be lowered to almost one point where both mount to frame to allow the birdcage to index into the frt mounted spring.
    Last edited by Dirtmod13; 01-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.

185lb spring clamped up on the LR in front, 90/10 on top of rear end, 275lb on RR in front, , 21" to 23" j bar, 40" lift bar 350lb spring on a dummy shock, chained limiter no 6th coil 550lb springs across the front turn off RF brake give it a bunch of rear % and go!

Ok so what about a 4 link like this?

Ok so what about a 4 link like this?
    We ran both bottom bars down on the chassis about 5-degrees uppers 25+ left and right 18+, thats what we ran back in the day. As I think about it might have been a 225 spring on the right rear. Trycycling, hardly see over the hood but a ton of drive, if you didn't drive the he!! out of it, tail out it, rf brake off pushed like a dump truck, but a fast dump truck..

Quote Originally Posted by hpmaster View Post
    185lb spring clamped up on the LR in front, 90/10 on top of rear end, 275lb on RR in front, , 21" to 23" j bar, 40" lift bar 350lb spring on a dummy shock, chained limiter no 6th coil 550lb springs across the front turn off RF brake give it a bunch of rear % and go!
    we won a fair amount of races back in 1999 - 2001 on that same basic set up , I think I wound up on a 400 rf though.

Almost the same set up as hpmaster...we ran LF 550, RF 500, LR 275 on clamp in front, RR 225 springs. Left side was 55%, rear was 54%, ran around 200lbs of bite, ran a 400lb 5th arm. Our left front was useless....

I believe you guys are overthinking this a bit... I think the 5 link dual birdcage idea is kinda cool, but I don't think its really necessary. Look at how the rear mount reacts on the birdcage right now. It doesn't actually "push" the spring into the chassis, it just slows the rate that the LR spring is unloaded when the LR drops. By slowing down that motion it effectively softens your wheel rate on the LR. I would put the spring in front with an extra soft spring, or preferably a stack setup if the clamp bracket wasn't allowed. If the clamp is allowed, there's no reason to step back 15 years on your setup. Run a shock on the birdcage to control the LR timing, and put the spring on a clamp bracket. Cars now travel nearly as much on LR as they did back when people ran clamped up cars, but they don't have the attitude of the car above because of the more balanced package being run now with the cars being down on the RF, not rocked back on the RR.

Default Clamped up?

Anyone got a pic of the clamp bracket? Rule states single coil over mounted to birdcage. So is the clamp on the tube or the birdcage?

Also, who are the off the wall crazy guys that have the real bad advice on this forum? Just so I don't waste a bunch of time listening to some goofball. Had a few on last forum that after reading it for a year it was easy to weed them out. I'm new to this forum.

Anyone got a pic of the clamp bracket? Rule states single coil over mounted to birdcage. So is the clamp on the tube or the birdcage?
    Clamp bracket clamps directly to the axle tube independent from the actual birdcage. You can probably find one on BSB's website. You'll probably have an easier time finding a pic of one in steel since mod guys are more apt to use them.

The original TWM bcages were 2 piece. The inner half was the clamp bracket or you could put the bolt thru the bottom halves if you ran it conventional. We always threaded a bolt into the tube when we ran clamped up, just to make sure it didn't move.

And for the record, this IS an idiotic rule... It will have little to no effect on how much horsepower you use. Someone did a test a few years ago and took the LR spring completely off the car and ran nearly identical lap times. The only effective way to limit these cars at this point without sending everyone running to their chassis builder is to limit rear suspension down travel. Good luck finding a sanctioning body that will enforce that one... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bcollins82 View Post
    I believe you guys are overthinking this a bit... I think the 5 link dual birdcage idea is kinda cool, but I don't think its really necessary. Look at how the rear mount reacts on the birdcage right now. It doesn't actually "push" the spring into the chassis, it just slows the rate that the LR spring is unloaded when the LR drops. By slowing down that motion it effectively softens your wheel rate on the LR. I would put the spring in front with an extra soft spring, or preferably a stack setup if the clamp bracket wasn't allowed. If the clamp is allowed, there's no reason to step back 15 years on your setup. Run a shock on the birdcage to control the LR timing, and put the spring on a clamp bracket. Cars now travel nearly as much on LR as they did back when people ran clamped up cars, but they don't have the attitude of the car above because of the more balanced package being run now with the cars being down on the RF, not rocked back on the RR.
    Not really. The dynamic wheel rate is as important, or moreso than the wheel rate at ride height.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1