Default Loading Late Model

About to load a late model into an enclosed trailer for the first time. I realize I need to get a steering wheel out to the back of the car by extending the steering column. What's the most cost effective way to do this? Does somebody make a NON quick release couple assembly that I could use? Been searching with no luck.

I have thought about making a y shaped fork on the end of a tube, to go around the spokes of my normal wheel then quick pin on the backside, allows angle, no extra coupler required... Never built one just and idea I had.

just use a 1/2 socket and swivel welded to a long piece of tubing. Or buy a quick release and remove lock.

Woodward makes a not locking hub specifically for loading purposes. It was around $30.00 if I remember correctly.

If it's a standard hex hub you can use a 1" socket with a swivel. It should fit right on the steering shaft. Then weld the swivel to your steering pole. We would pull the lug nut socket off our impact gun and use it on the swivel.

You can also easily remove the locking mechanism on locking hubs if you find an old one someone has one laying around that will fit it. I don't remember exactly how but you can usually tell just by looking at it how to remove it.

I bought a quick release from speedway motors, made a plate that bolts to it, a steering univeral welded to plate then the long rod with the spline welded on so i use my steering wheel to steer with. with the quick release being bolted instead of welded, i could use it if need be. Fits my woodward steering coloum fine. quick release was like 35 from speedway.

http://www.allstarperformance.com/pr...LL52306&add=no

Allstar makes just wwhat your looking for, 19 and 20 spline

......Or, always have one skinny crew member to sit on the side and steer it in!!!

where in the he11 are going to find a crew member like that lol

I welded a 1" socket to the end of an old steering u-joint, went to the hardware store and got some 3/4" schedule 40 black pipe, welded that into the steering u-joint, then on the back end I had to buy the quick release part the steering wheel slips over. think I had about $30 in all of it.

you need the u-joint down on the socket so the steering shaft can extend back to the right side past the seat.

if you have the 19 spline hub and coupler disregard everything I just wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by JHobbs26 View Post
    I welded a 1" socket to the end of an old steering u-joint, went to the hardware store and got some 3/4" schedule 40 black pipe, welded that into the steering u-joint, then on the back end I had to buy the quick release part the steering wheel slips over. think I had about $30 in all of it.

you need the u-joint down on the socket so the steering shaft can extend back to the right side past the seat.

if you have the 19 spline hub and coupler disregard everything I just wrote.
    I did the black pipe thing originally. It was very flexible. The steering shaft that came with my current car was built out of square and I like it much better than the black pipe.