Thread: stagger

Default stagger

It seems a lot of people are running very little stagger. less than an inch usually no stagger. i don't really understand that. if you need a certain amount of stagger for a certain radius turn shouldn't stagger be the same for muddy or slick track. Wouldn't going to no stagger just be crutching the car. Thanks

if you cant turn thru the corners...add more stagger...if it steps out coming out of the corner then reduce stagger....quit listening to others and fiqure out what works for you with what you have..

Stagger is a tool like anything else. It can be used differently on every car depending on your setup. I never ran less than 2 1/2 of stagger, but I carried a very high rear% which would make for a tight setup. If you run the harder IMCA tires you may not want as much stagger. I ran UMP tires that were very sticky, so you want to free things up. The amount of rear steer comes into play, if you have any built in, etc. etc. etc. So no one size fits all answer that everyone is looking for. When I stopped doing what everyone else was doing, and thought about what my car needed based on how it was set-up, I went straight to the front.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Here is an example . Same exact car , same track , 3 different drivers over 3 seasons , one ran zero , one ran 2" and one ran 4" . All ran fast . As with everything , you have to set the car up to the driver.

2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified National Points #1 Rookie
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Track Champion I think racer96m may know something you think

Proper stagger is a science not an art. It is determined by turn radii, rear track width, banking angle, and track conditions. The first three are easily measured, then comes some serious trigonometry. Fortunately, a retired engineer, CP Furney, wrote a book about Hoosier Tires inc a chapter on stagger. Every racer would be wise to read this book and apply his principles to your racecar. He even inc stagger tables to get past all the difficult math.

Dirt Racer you are quite ignorant, SCD is correct if you are talking thru the turn, proper stagger does not creat heat, improper amounts large or small do

Ok so you get your stagger perfect for your track corners now when you are going down straightaway one tire is still slipping. So now that creates heat.

Quote Originally Posted by r3tracing View Post
    Ok so you get your stagger perfect for your track corners now when you are going down straightaway one tire is still slipping. So now that creates heat.
    Exactly why my post says thru the turn