Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Do You Think of This Format?

Tri City is going to hot lap and time trials at the same time. Top qualifier draws a 1-6 for invert. I think this is brilliant. Less wear on the track and moves the program through a lot quicker. Seems like you could do this with all classes if the track uses transponders. Hope it works out for them. Brownstown, you might want to give this format a shot!

The Kokomo Klash (Indiana) did that. It was a first for me, but I think as long as there are not too many cars on the track at once and enough laps given, why not? I'd rather have that than waiting in line for a one lap qualifying run.

I like the idea, even though it looks like a page out of the nascar book. although the cost could be a problem. how much does a transponder cost?

Tyler co been doing this the past 2 years , it works out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I like the idea, even though it looks like a page out of the nascar book. although the cost could be a problem. how much does a transponder cost?
    I think most tracks require them so there would not be any additional charge.

While I don't think it's a bad idea for fans, racers might not like it. Hot laps are not hot laps if it determines where you start in the heat. Can't really shake a car down and get a feeling for he track when you are worried about time. All things said, I'm positive it will work out fine. That seems like a well run track.

I like it, maybe others will do the same

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gas View Post
    Tri City is going to hot lap and time trials at the same time. Top qualifier draws a 1-6 for invert. I think this is brilliant. Less wear on the track and moves the program through a lot quicker. Seems like you could do this with all classes if the track uses transponders. Hope it works out for them. Brownstown, you might want to give this format a shot!
    no it doesn't just changes the format they haven't time trailed on a regular night in YEARS I think I might know been going there since 1962 how about you

in the st Louis area transponders cost no thing to the teams unless they are damaged by use of a hammer or such

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gas View Post
    I hate boring time trials. Thus, if you are going to do them, then during hot laps is the way to go.

I agree plus with more than likely a little higher car count since belleclaire is running sunday night we guess it might help out the the program that way also I just hope the racing is good or better

no where I race requires them, and if they did , I doubt they would pay for them, so how much ?

The track has to invest in the time and money also laying down sensers and such

no where I race requires them, and if they did , I doubt they would pay for them, so how much ?
    Fast, it's a one time fee of just over a $100 I think if you buy it. A lot of tracks will rent them for a night if you don't own one. Them and the Raceceivers are great improvements in racing. Also help in line up guys not being needed near as much. Makes it safer and saves time. And more fair, it's on a computer, not up to the scorers interpretation. Unless one guy mounts it where they aren't supposed too.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It's a stupid waste of time to time trial on weekly shows. Even if they are timing during hotlaps, it still draws out the show. Tracks can hotlap 8-10 cars at a time. They aren't going to put that many cars on the track when they do hotlap time trials.

They are fast becoming mandatory at most tracks in my area. You can buy one for around 150 or some tracks rent them for 5 bucks per night. Some tracks charge nothing (unless you don't return it).
    8/13/16

This is my opinion and opinion only.

This is a GREAT idea. Here's the only thing I think that hurts it. Late Model teams are so concerned about "clean air" (especially on big tracks) that it takes them 2 laps to get up to speed, not sure it will work as intended due to that fact.

Now, for the "racers", this is great as they don't worry about "clean air" and they actually may TT better than they would on track by themselves. The bonus is the drivers/teams can measure themselves against other cars and see how their car is driving. If you can manuever and out-time the other cars to beat during time trials, the confidence is up for them going into the actual racing.

Now, the potential downsides. Guys won't get up to speed and end up being terrible in time trials and everyone will complain about the format and you could lose cars.

I've seen group qualifying work very well in other classes (Knoxville does this every week with sprint cars, if they can do it, I don't see why a full bodied car with fenders couldn't). Seems like LM fans don't want any association with anything that isn't a Late Model......even if it's formats or how they qualify....

It's a good idea as long as the track isn't a slimy mess for qualifying like the Kokomo Klash. Cars getting tore up in qualifying/hot laps isn't good for the show. Seems like a pill draw and passing points is the best if you don't have a decent way to qualify.

I like the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    They are fast becoming mandatory at most tracks in my area. You can buy one for around 150 or some tracks rent them for 5 bucks per night. Some tracks charge nothing (unless you don't return it).
    is that the yellow or red transponder?

around Western Pa the tracks use the red ones..they cost over $400 bucks and most places have rental for $35,sounds like you guys are getting a deal.
    the raceceivers are just over $100..plus the ear buds.