Thread: Battery Trouble

Default 16 Volt Battery Trouble

Had a two year old XS 16V battery act up right when called to track. Started fine to back out. Shut it off in staging lane. Completely dead when tried to restart. Not even gauge lites lit. Pushed it back. Checked grounds, ignition switch. All good. Then battery showed 2 volts on meter? Tried to charge. Only gets to 16.2. Can't have that happen again. Thoughts? Thinking about going back to a good 12V

https://m.interstatebatteries.com/search/31agm7
    Last edited by catgo22; 02-03-2015 at 07:06 PM.

That's about the typical lifespan we get out of those batteries. Seems like they don't last as long the rougher the tracks you race on as well.

Are you charging it with a microprocesser controlled charger that is safe for an AGM battery? They should last much longer than that.

Bignilla. Bought their charger too. That's what pi$$es me off. Bought two XS batteries and charger at same time. Prolly spent $1,000 with shipping.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/70...FZWGaQodCDoAKw

I know XS makes 2 16 volt batteries ,1 is around 28lbs and is for cars with alternators It last about 2 years in a l/m with no alternator.The other is like 42 lbs and is made for cars with no alt.Had it 1 year no problems.At one time some people were making a battery called the V battery.It lasted for years but the the people selling it were not to be trusted and you had to threaten to drive to nebraska and fight them to get anything from them.

Yup mine are the D1600 that weigh 46 lbs. I was just wondering if others have heard of them shorting out internally? Or how to test it? No way it should only last two years IMO. That battery had less than 15 nites total.

Had the same problem with kinetik batteries. I have an xs that's 5 years old no issues 12vlt. Had a 16 last 3 nights.

Never have had an issue with yellow top optimas. I'm just gonna stick with them.

Anyone tried a lithium yet? I hear they don't hold a charge for long? Was wondering if the 20ah models will last through a race night? I'm skeptical.

we run 16 volts and have had them for 3 years plus with no problems,a couple of things come to mind though that were a learning lesson,1 don't over tighten the terminals it will hurt the batt,2 you'll need to charge them once a month (in the winter),3 we ruined one by running it when it was down on voltage from not charging it,so we put the charger on it and started the car with the charger on it and it killed the batt(did it on a winch too,it was low on voltage and we hooked the charger up and pulled the car in and it killed the batt,they won't hold a charge after that for some reason or another),so heres the secrete,keep them charged and they have lasted for a long time for us but it was a learning curve,because we did kill 1 from forgetting to keep it charged(its just part of our weekly maint program now),you do need the correct charger too
    Last edited by grt74; 02-04-2015 at 10:41 PM.

one other thing i like about the 16 volt is we haven't had any starters or electrical parts wear out as much,most of that was caused by low voltage from a 12 volt