Thread: Lr travel

Default Lr travel

i have a shaw car and left rear movement from ride height is 4 1/2. It seems like alot of other usmts cars a hardly moving on the left rear. Hughes cars are one that hardly moves. My car seems good on hoosiers but on mcreary tire it seems to struggle. Does anybody have any thoughts on running more static bar angle and tying the car down a little. The mb cars seem to move a little more at times, and then they can be pretty flat also.

What's your current lr bar angles at ride height?

Some of the lower travel LR cars maybe on a liftarm. Sometimes with the liftarm and 4.5in of lift it will make the car throttle push.

left top bar is 25 deg. and i am always 45 deg. max. I was just wondering if i was using too much travel.

what year of shaw?

You can probably get the info you need by calling Kevin Shaw @ 870-251-2966. It is usually best to call the chassis builder first. JMO.

Shaw book says usually 4.25-5". I personally do more hike on stop and go tracks. 5"-5.5" 1/4 mile stop and go. Momentum usually 4". Also shock valving I change on front end more. Depends on shape of track then as well if I'm running a linear or digressive.

I dont run anymore travel the 4.5, because the car seems to have too much steer. I know the hughes cars are running less, so i thought about running 4 with the mcreary tire. Then maybe lowering front spring rate to help the car turn through the middle. I was thinking the car would handle better and come off the corner straighter. any thought?

i have a 2013 shaw

Yea,once again, call Kevin Shaw!!! JMO

Put your lr upper in top hole, flatten out your lower link, second hole or lower in the slick, leave drop between 4 1/4 and 4 1/2, I've got a 2013 shaw as well, you really have to tweak on these cars to get them to go well in the slick, if that's what you're asking about.

i have talked to kevin, great guy, helps me a ton. I was just wanting something a little different on the mcreary tire. I have just noticed the usmts stuff, the cars are pretty flat and i was just looking for maybe something that will compete with that. The shaw cars seem to struggle in that division and i was thinking of trying a different approach.

You are saying that you are struggling, but you haven't said what you are struggling with... Just because another brand is running well with what you visually see as less LR drop doesn't mean running less LR drop will make you faster too. Maybe their COG height is much higher so they don't need to get the car as high? There are a lot more factors at play than just the drop amount. If you are struggling with forward drive and you want to soften the RF and take LR drop away you won't be pleased with the results. If you hike less without changing anything else, you will have less dynamic wedge, then you soften the RF and you'll take even more dynamic wedge away resulting in even less drive off. I would suggest starting with the area you feel your Shaw is lacking, then work on finding a remedy for that instead of changing your entire setup package. JMO... And when you say 45* LRU angle, is that with the car up on stands and level, or is that with a jack under the seat? If it's under the seat you probably have too much LRU angle, and that's why you get the feeling of too much steer with more hike. Or maybe you are running too much LRL bar angle?

if you just want car to come off corner straighter run a 2 inch offset wheel on left rear and if that don't work, those shaw cars like to be chained down on right rear to keep car from lifting off the spring on the right side.