Default chevy vega 2.3 engines

im new to the 4 cyl class and ive come across a chevy vega dirt track car and I was wondering what I could turn rpm wise to keep up with the ford and toytoas ty for any help

Do yourself a favor, don't buy it.

Only buy it if it has the twin cam engine. The stock engines are junk.

Ran this engine for 3 years in our local class. never made a complete season without at least one blown engine, despite using only top quality parts. save your money, or convert it to a Ford or Toyota.

Profile, you say the twin cam engine was good but the stock engine was junk? They are the same engine from the cylinder head down. The twin cam is a stock Vega engine with a twin cam cylinder head made by Cosworth of England. It was designated RPO Z/09. They were both horrible engines with the twin cam cylinder head producing a bit more power but no more reliable (actually less) than the standard Vega. The fellow interested in buying a Vega ministock should reconsider his purchase at all costs. They were a lemon on the streets so you can only imagine how they would be on the track.

the key to survival with these engines is to fill the block with rok block and run a mid motor mount, the blocks like to twist at the number 3 cylinder...a friend of mine ran one for 2 years and got 2 track championships,then switched to nissan
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Ya don't buy it. The engines are terrible.

So Racer3580, did you buy the Vega?

The answer to the RPM question is 6500 to 6700 RPM. The Vega has a long stroke bottom end therefore you can't turn the same RPM's that the short stroke Fords and Toyota's do.

The only thing that matters is piston speed, the Vega and the Fords have about the same piston speed when turning their optimal RPM.
    Last edited by kre25; 03-12-2015 at 10:52 PM.

KRE25 I think you are missing the point. Racer3580 is just starting out in ministocks. I think most of us are trying to help him make a better choice. Good for you that you have won some races with a Vega. You needed an "Engine Man" to get it done. If he went with a 2.3 Ford he could get his Mom to build him an engine. Just because you manage to keep a Vega engine together doesn't mean it's a good idea for a first timer to go down that path. You probably don't like Fords or Toyotas or Nissans so you went with a Vega cause you are a Chev guy. Guess what, I like Chevrolet. My muscle car is a Chev, I drive a Chev and my boat is Chev powered but I would never suggest someone build a ministock out of a Vega. The best bang for your buck is a 2.3 Ford for a guy just starting out. Now depending on rules at some tracks you may want to run a Toyota or a Nissan but a Vega? You need three engines where most only need one. I really like Chevrolet stuff but the Vega was the worst thing they ever built.

Never Mind!
    Last edited by kre25; 03-12-2015 at 10:50 PM.

started a race once with 25 ford one chevy 2300......i won.....7 times in one year ,however,theres very few people around that can build that engine to really run,....and i never turned over 6200,an ran the bottom end 2 seasons without freshening,.......its not a bad engine,its just a bygone engine