Thread: Dished Decking

Default Dished Decking

I noticed several cars both at pri and down at East Bay with the dished decking. We all know that ump dosnt follow the rule book( interior must be level with top of door and 1/4 panel). so what are they allowing in the decking? Flat across the front then dish behind the driver? Full dish on front and driver area? How much dish? I know The Hoffman car had a dish front to back, just checking to see if it legal now.....Thanks.

UMP has allowed a 2" drop deck for several seasons.

2" wouldn't be bad.A couple of cars at the Bay had 9" Were told to lower but if they did sure didn't look like it. Inspection was a complete joke there.

Just creating more problems by eliminating the spoilers!

Check this out..

Here is a video of one of the Dillon boys last night...sure looks like more than 2" of drop to me..also notice the 1" flange along the top of the doors...way to go F tards at UMP...I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER UMP LICENSE UNTIL YOUR INSPECTORS ENFORCE THE RULES THAT ARE ALREADY IN PLACE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZjKoMw-wjc

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmod21 View Post
    Check this out.. Here is a video of one of the Dillon boys last night...sure looks like more than 2" of drop to me..also notice the 1" flange along the top of the doors...way to go F tards at UMP...I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER UMP LICENSE UNTIL YOUR INSPECTORS ENFORCE THE RULES THAT ARE ALREADY IN PLACE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZjKoMw-wjc
    I agree that UMP needs to enforce their own rules. The integrity of UMP has went to pot, and it appears that they do not care. So many push blame of the decline of car counts on the economy, but I feel that is not the real cause. It may be a contributing factor, but I believe UMP has no one to blame but themselves. If UMP continues to operate in this manner, it will only be a matter of time before race tracks choose to be sanctioned by some other organization. Personally, I feel its time for UMP to go away and be replaced by some other sanctioning body that will operate in a professional and consistent manner at every race track. Rather than money, racing teams and the fans that come support the sport should be considered first. Its easy to see that UMP chooses not to approach the situation from that perspective. Low car counts and empty grandstands are evidence of this.
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

Just a thought... I bet this is 2" drop but the extra piece at the front of the decking makes a gradual decrease. and the hood is taller, so it makes the video look more dropped. But that's just an observation. I run mainly short tracks, so not sure how much of the hoop-la will affect things.

Dang, did he have the throttle taped to the floor???

^was wondering if anyone else noticed it or would say anything....

Broc's question is worth answering. I too would like to know (getting ready to add sheet metal). I see where someone said 2" drop has been allowed, but are they talking about front to back (UMP rules talk about 2" max "rake" to behind the driver seat and 4" total to the rear of car, etc), but I'm not sure the rules actually say 2" dish from side to side is allowed (it says the deck must be level from door-to-door, or something like that). Am I missing something in this interpretation? If I'm correct and they do allow a dish of 2" side-to-side, maybe this is just a local track inspector letting it go?
    Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by js11 View Post
    Broc's question is worth answering. I too would like to know (getting ready to add sheet metal). I see where someone said 2" drop has been allowed, but are they talking about front to back (UMP rules talk about 2" max "rake" to behind the driver seat and 4" total to the rear of car, etc), but I'm not sure the rules actually say 2" dish from side to side is allowed (it says the deck must be level from door-to-door, or something like that). Am I missing something in this interpretation? If I'm correct and they do allow a dish of 2" side-to-side, maybe this is just a local track inspector letting it go? Thanks....
    These parts are taken from the 2015 rules. You are correct it never spells out a drop deck, but item (H) and (A) contradict themselves . UMP has allowed a 2" drop to accommodate ease of exit of the driver as stated in item (A). So if you drop the deck, it obviously wont comply with item (H) but they allow it. If you have doubts, just make it flat and you will always be good. 15.6.1 – Interior and Driver Compartment A.) The interior deck sheet metal to the right side of the driver from the back of the seat forward should be fabricated on an angle from the driveshaft tunnel to the right side window to promote ease of exit for the driver through the right side and or front window opening. G.) The maximum slope/rake of the interior sheet metal “shelf” front-to-rear is 4”-inches when measured from the firewall to the base of the spoiler. A maximum of 2”-inches of slope/rake will be permitted in front of the rear of the seat to the firewall and a maximum of 2”-inches of slope/rake will be permitted from the rear of the seat to the base of the spoiler. H.) The top of the interior must be flush with the top of door and quarter panels.
    Last edited by QQQQ; 03-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.

A piece of scrap off a $70 sheet of aluminum to make a spoiler versus a deck that would cost $500+ to have made and a aeronautical engineer to check, certainly makes sense to me? Steve Sr.

So are both sides of the decking suppose to be the same? According to the 2015 rules it sure sounds like both sides are suppose to match. In Florida the Dillon cars were flat on the right side and angled on the left. So were Stremme and the Strickler guys car. It also says in the rules the decking has to be flush to the door and Stremme's car has a huge lip down the left side. It's easy to spot because the decking is red and the body is white on the outside. It would be nice to know what you can actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT711 View Post
    So are both sides of the decking suppose to be the same? According to the 2015 rules it sure sounds like both sides are suppose to match. In Florida the Dillon cars were flat on the right side and angled on the left. So were Stremme and the Strickler guys car. It also says in the rules the decking has to be flush to the door and Stremme's car has a huge lip down the left side. It's easy to spot because the decking is red and the body is white on the outside. It would be nice to know what you can actually do.
    All good questions. I think when it comes to Florida in Feb, UMP dosnt sweat the small stuff. Now what will they pick on in the Mid West in June? IDK, lol. They have always been very consistent on whatever you do to one side, you do to the other, so as long as we are all guessing, I would make both sides match or just leave it flat. I saw fast cars in Florida with flat decks and drop decks, so I dont think its the difference between winning and losing.

I prefered the look of the spoiler that cost about a $100. versus a deck that
    some of the cars that ran in Florida that look like they had a deck that could
    cost a couple grand to make them into a whole deck spoiler. Thats UMP for
    you, poop on the little teams, let the rich fellows win. Thats all I have to say.