Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One Day at a Time

Out of the hundreds of articles and features I've written to date this is by far the one that I'm most proud to have composed. It's a very inspirational story about an amazing racing family (the Jason Krohn family), who turned tragedy and loss into something positive.

http://www.onedirt.com/features/one-day-at-a-time/

- Ben

I'm sure I'll get red repped for this, but letting a seven year old drive a Ranger and NOT wear her seatbelt, that's just wrong. I have had four wheelers and that growing up, it wasn't until I was 12-14, that I was allowed to ride it full bore without haveing the throttle turned back. And always a helmet if we weren't just using it for work.

Seven and a Ranger is just irresponsible, wether you're on a farm or not. I have two daughters and I don't know that I could get over this. I would 100% blame myself for letting her ride it, especially with no seatbelt. A seven year old shouldn't be in control of a Ranger anyhow.

Such a beautiful little girl and so dam sad. She's was about the same age as my oldest.

I feel for him and his quote about time rings true, especially to those of us who have experienced loss. But his carelessness in letting her operate the Ranger angers me as a father.
    Last edited by chupp n bloomer fan; 02-04-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shelton View Post
    Out of the hundreds of articles and features I've written to date this is by far the one that I'm most proud to have composed. It's a very inspirational story about an amazing racing family (the Jason Krohn family), who turned tragedy and loss into something positive.

http://www.onedirt.com/features/one-day-at-a-time/

- Ben
    . Thanks, Ben. Brownie & Cheryl Brown

so tragic. My heart goes out to the Krohn's. You can preach helmets and seat belts till your blue in the face but unless you are with someone 100% of the time, it is up to the individual to adhere to the rules. I've been around ATV's all my life. It's frightening what you see sometimes.
    Thanks for the read Ben.
    8/13/16

Sad so sad What a Loss.... But It only takes one time not doing it the right way and you die... If you stop your kids from doing things that may hurt or kill them they would not leave there bed room...My cousin ran right out on the road on a 3 wheeler did not look got hit lost his leg.. When asked why he did not look said had to get home dad was mad now he real mad and crying... It only takes one time... but you got to let them live.. may have been the one time she did not put on the belt.. and if you see them you tell them you can not use it for 6 mouths ... so sad just Sad

"Warning: ATVs and RANGER vehicles can be hazardous to operate. ATV operators must be at least 16 years old, and drivers of RANGER vehicles must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver's license. No passengers under the age of 12."
    This is right off the Ranger web page. Sometimes being a parent is to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Sad so sad What a Loss.... But It only takes one time not doing it the right way and you die... If you stop your kids from doing things that may hurt or kill them they would not leave there bed room...My cousin ran right out on the road on a 3 wheeler did not look got hit lost his leg.. When asked why he did not look said had to get home dad was mad now he real mad and crying... It only takes one time... but you got to let them live.. may have been the one time she did not put on the belt.. and if you see them you tell them you can not use it for 6 mouths ... so sad just Sad
    There's a huge difference between letting your kids live and learning by screwing up, than this. She was seven, NOT old enough to realize what can happen when you screw up. Or to have that feeling in your stomach and a$$ that you're going too far. I feel for them, but their little girl shouldn't have been in this situation.

I rolled our 4 wheelers, as did my brother, when you're old enough to think and react asap. I've seen a kid on a three wheeler with little experience nearly take his head off in barb wire.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Very nice article, Ben! You should be proud. Its good to see the Krohns trying to live life again, as Im sure it will never be the same for them. We as parents cannot keep our kids free from all harm this world has to offer. All we can do is pray for God to watch over them each and every day. Tell them you love them each and every day and let Him take care of the rest.Afterall, they are gifts from him and sometimes He calls them home at an early age. Thank God, he created Heaven so that all our kids, who are taken early, will reside there for eternity!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shelton View Post
    Out of the hundreds of articles and features I've written to date this is by far the one that I'm most proud to have composed. It's a very inspirational story about an amazing racing family (the Jason Krohn family), who turned tragedy and loss into something positive. http://www.onedirt.com/features/one-day-at-a-time/ - Ben
    That is good reading Ben. That is kinda sad way to be starting out the fresh 2015 Racing season. I have 2 daughters also.....

I am a believer that when its your time, its your time. I do believe we were given common sense and sometimes without using it one enhances their chances of something bad happening, but we are not here to judge. im sure everyone on here has done something , without using common sense , that could have gotten them hurt or possible killed, I know I have. I lost my father one day before this little girl lost her life, and even though I still shed a tear sometimes when I pull through the gates at the race track with him not there, I cant imagine what it would be like to loose a child in any situation , god bless this family...

Seriously this man loses his daughter and y'all are ripping him for her not wearing a helmet don't you think he has replayed that in his head everyday since this tragic accident. I'm sure he doesn't need y'all to remind him of what he could have done to prevent it.

Good article Ben very well written as usual. All of us with kids feel very sad for the parents.

As far as some of the negative comments toward the grieving parents, I guess it is easy to judge and place blame when you are not involved.

Our family lost a nephew a few days after Christmas of 2012 to a 4-wheeler accident. He was going to be 18 years old and was in line to possibly take over my business when it's comes time for me to step away.

The second guessing for us will never end, not ever, just as it will never end for the family of this precious little girl.

Even though it's been said a trillion times I will emphatically say it once again, do everything you can to see to it that your young loved ones have fun and at the same time try to think ahead and envision as many of the possibilities of harm and eliminate as many of those situations as is humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Good article Ben very well written as usual. All of us with kids feel very sad for the parents.

As far as some of the negative comments toward the grieving parents, I guess it is easy to judge and place blame when you are not involved.
    I'll tell ya JimBo, when I let my seven year old ride a Ranger alone with another child, I'd punch myself for being so stupid. And her dying, not sure I'd pull through it. It's not about not feeling for them, it's about seeing the glaring lack of judgement. Like letting a twelve year old drive an automobile on the road with no seat belt. As a parent it pi$$es me off seeing such a beautiful young girl taken because of a lack of common sense.

And if this was me or my family, same thing would be said. Not a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    Seriously this man loses his daughter and y'all are ripping him for her not wearing a helmet don't you think he has replayed that in his head everyday since this tragic accident. I'm sure he doesn't need y'all to remind him of what he could have done to prevent it.
    Helmet is the least of it. Letting a seven year old operate a Ranger with another child is the glaring issue. Just plain dumb.

Not saying it's right or wrong but in many places in the United States the father would of been brought up on child endangerment/abuse charges.

Itsvery sad, in 02 one of my racinbuddies lost his son on a atv he was 12 no helmet I allways said to him to wear at all times but,he is gone. Our son lost his life at 27 housefire just think about it.day to day what IF? BB

Iam a firm believer in the saying God does things for a reason. We could set here and pass judgement on this family forever for letting a 7 yr old ride a atv unsupervised, no helmet & seat belt not fastened, but they dont need to be tormented over & over. Not saying it was the right thing to do but what happened is a reminded to us all to educate our children as well as ourselves on the dangers of these atvs, 4 wheelers & all vechiles as well. We cant bring this precious little girl back but we can hopefully prevent it from happening again. I know just 3 yrs ago my oldest son & his now wife was out riding at nite on a public highway, meet a car on a curve & swearved to miss it& hit the ditch, flipped& where ejected. He came out with a bruised shoulder, her like she had been a bar fight& atv totaled. Iwas out of town& when i got home & saw how banged up they both where i almost cried because i knew God wasnt ready to call them home but i was also mad because at 27 yrs old he knew better to be on that road& how dangerous that atv was. All i said to him was has this taught you anything & he replied yes it has, we are lucky to be here& its taught me to be more careful & responsible. So my heart goes out to this family as well as all others who has had to go through this tragedy. Thanks for sharing this with us Ben.

Thanks for the red rep never thought I would get one what children some of you are

Thanks for the red rep never thought I would get one what children some of you are
    I got one as well. No big deal. If it makes someone feel big, well, your welcome.
    8/13/16