Default Sb2 motors- good or not good!!

Heard a lot of mixed opinions about these motors. Was hoping the 4m community could offer some opinions. Biggest issue I have heard is that they are fast but very unreliable with a lot of failures. Not sure if that's due to the builder or the engines. Opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lifters are a big issue. Use a quality lifter like jesel you will get along fine.

Your builder needs to understand the platform. The biggest issue (based on my limited understanding) is that the SB2 blocks use a slightly sifferent lifter bore spacing than the standard bore that 90% of the aluminum blocks. To overcome his you end up running an offset lifter which loads the lifter unevenly and leads to the high failure rate of the SB2 top ends.

My niche would be sb2.

Look at it like this. GM Spent nearly a billion dollars developing this head. It's far beyond what any other company out in the aftermarket has for r&d. The head is makes the best power threshold period. Nothing else comes close. But they do require a knowledgable builder specifically someone who does these regularly like myself or Vic hill maybe Clements to build a reliable piece.

Lots of problems when the builder try's to throw one of these together without prior knowledge of the platform. Main reason is the good finished parts are not usually resold. These heads come cast unfinished and there are some important details that need to be addressed that are not the norm with other platforms.

The only real downside is the sb2 does weigh a little more in the end. But in my opinion it's hard to beat this combo in power delivery. They are becoming popular again and all the original castings are available from edelbrock. They have even tempered the cores like the original . There is a ROX wide bore version available as well.

Reliability depends on the builder. This is not a go and play platform it's a serious performance cyl head that requires attention to detail.

But the payoff in power and drivability are second to none.

Are you talking about SB2 top ends on aluminum blocks or whole SB2 engines with iron blocks?

Not an SB2 fan but they make power and no one can doubt that. Lifter layout is specific if you want durability.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

you would need to use a very good top end in a high quality lifter and everything past that they do have issues but as brian gray said reliability is in the builder i use hershey race engines in greencastle pa. one of the best around

Agree. However, a certain SB2 builder has failures in the 60% range. Be careful who you choose, is my advice.

There has never been an sb2 win a single late model race that was built by anyone other than Bryan Gray !!! The machine shop at BGR would make the head of the engine shop at Hendricks motor sports " cream his jeans !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    There has never been an sb2 win a single late model race that was built by anyone other than Bryan Gray !!! The machine shop at BGR would make the head of the engine shop at Hendricks motor sports " cream his jeans !!!
    Usually, Jay Wiles can be found wearing slacks. Nonetheless, you make a valid point.Hey Brian- What throat %'s do you find works best in a SLM Sb2? What kind of C/D numbers are you getting from these heads?