DAWSONVILLE, GA – Charles Roberts of Hoosier Tire South was named the recipient of the 2014 Bob Cross Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award at the NeSmith Racing Annual Awards Banquet on January 24 at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame and Thunder Road Museum. Roberts was recognized for his lifetime contributions as a motorsports sponsor and businessman.

The Morristown, TN native made his mark in the business world as a passenger car tire retailer for 20 years, and sponsored many dirt late models before combining his experience in the tire business and his love of dirt track racing when he purchased Hoosier Tire South in 2000 along with his partner David Miller.

Hoosier Tire South is the Southeastern Distributor of Hoosier Racing Tires. In 2014, Roberts expanded his motorsports business interests when he and veteran dirt track competitors and promoter Johnny Stokes purchased Magnolia Motor Speedway in Columbus, MS, a facility considered by many to be one of the premier dirt track facilities in the country.

NeSmith Racing Founder and CEO Mike Vaughn said not only is Roberts a business associate, but also a good friend who has taught him valuable lessons in both areas of his life as a businessman and a father.

“Charles Roberts has always done what he said he was going to do as a tire provider and sponsor of NeSmith Racing, as we have never experienced a shortage of tires” Vaughn said. “Charles does business the old school way. Even in these times of text messaging, instant messaging, and E-mails, Charles is well known for getting in his truck and personally visiting several clients face-to-face in several states in just a few days. Outside of business, Charles has also taught me how to be a better husband and father.”

Roberts was as surprised as he was humbled to receive the Bob Cross Lifetime Achievement Award, named after Chevrolet Performance Engineer and the Father of the economical Chevrolet Performance 604, 602 and CT525 Circle Track Engines used by the race cars in the NeSmith Racing family of series the late Bob Cross.

“I’m not sure I’m worthy to receive such a prestigious award, but I appreciate it and I’m honored in receiving it,” Roberts said. “I’ll be retiring from Hoosier Tire South in a week from now, and I’ll be turning over the day-to-day operation to my partner David Miller. I love this sport, and I’ll still be around trying to make it better.”

Vaughn said that even though Roberts may be retiring from the tire business, he’s glad that he will still around the sport to answer his questions about racing and life.

“Between Johnny Stokes and me, we won’t let Charles retire too much,” Vaughn said. “As Charles always says, there’s too much work to be done!”

Roberts is the fifth recipient of the Bob Cross Lifetime Achievement Award and joins Defending and two-time NeSmith Late Model Champion and National Dirt Track Hall of Fame Inductee Ronnie Johnson (2010), Chevrolet Performance Special Projects Manager Bill Martens (2011), National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame Inductee Jeff Purvis (2012), and longtime motorsports Publicist and Announcer Roby Helm (2013).

For more information and rules about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.

NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC of Claxton, GA is the Title Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC is the nation’s number one GM Powertrain and Performance Dealer six years running, with free delivery anywhere in the Southeast. Chevrolet Performance Parts is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. Hoosier Racing Tire is the Official Tire Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. RockAuto.com is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. Racecar Engineering is the Official Parts Supplier of the NeSmith Late Models. Beyea Headers is the NeSmith Late Model Hard Charger Sponsor. Renegade Race and Performance Fuels are a series Associate Sponsor and fuel supplier. Schaeffer’s Oil Presented By Chad Wallace and Heather Newsome is the Official Oil of the NeSmith Late Models. AR Bodies is an Associate Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. NeSmith Late Model Contingency Sponsors for 2015 are Dominator Race Products, Stealth Racing Carburetors, Modern Images, Mike Custom Tanks, Schoenfeld Headers, Kinser Air Filters, Performance Rod & Custom, and David Smith Carburetors. 2015 Chassis Sponsors are Trak-Star Race Cars, Warrior Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, GRT Race Cars, TNT Race Cars, and CVR Race Cars.