Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has Lucas oil put the ban on FRIC ? And inerters?

I'm hearing they have put in place a ban on certain types of dampeners but no one has made it clear.

If so I applaud them at being the first and hope everyone else gets a clue before this ruins our sport for good.

From the mouth of Richie Lewis. YES! Siting cost as the major factor. The other being that Bloomquist had unfair advantage.
    Last edited by davis2902; 02-07-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Care to elaborate on these shocks ?

In a nut shell . Inerters are dampers that control oscillation of the tire contact patch . And FRIC is front to rear left to right integration of the damper system.

This is a very expensive and tech intensive technology used in Indy car and f1 .

And believed to be the advantage bloomquist used at the world 100 in 2014.

This is a killer to our sport I hope this will be taken care of soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    In a nut shell . Inerters are dampers that control oscillation of the tire contact patch . And FRIC is front to rear left to right integration of the damper system.
    /
    This is a very expensive and tech intensive technology used in Indy car and f1 .

Brian, "controls oscillation of the tire contact patch".....really?

Where's good ole' Huck Tyson when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron-Junkie View Post
    Brian, "controls oscillation of the tire contact patch".....really?

Where's good ole' Huck Tyson when you need him?
    Just wait Cast, it'll be like white on rice.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Lol @ ya C&B fan! Lol!

FRIC was banned by F1 in the middle of last season because of cost. On the other hand though, DLM thrived on innovation and experimental components through the 80's, 90's. At some point some leeway has to be given or the sport will be just like NASCRAP now, which is now no better than the disbanned IROC series.
    Last edited by davis2902; 02-08-2015 at 11:28 AM.

The inerters are a more interesting concept to me . After talking with the Indy team from Penske at PRI I got a serious education and reality check on the benefits of using them on a race car.

The late model side of Penske dodged every question I threw at them but the Indy people were very open about the subject.

Just imagine being able to control the surface of the tire mechanically ! This is a possibility with today's technolgy. But it would take every team having an engineer on hand to use it effectively !

And believe me Penske wants to sell this to every racer out there. That's why they are being so quiet about it right now! They know it's too expensive and the series will outlaw it. As it should be .

It's the human element that makes racing competitive. When a mechanical system can rid the human element it needs to be taken out of the equation.

Systems like these will hurt the racing tremendously, think it's follow the leader now imagine what happens when the consistency increases 10 fold.

Except that they've been in drag racing for 10 years. Either way, ya'll conspiracy theorists make me laugh. Brian--Remember when you said you could tell how he cut his right rear tire at the World because of "the marks it left in the track"? Care to tell us what it was cut like?

You could see a perfect imprint left behind every time that car went past . Every other car left a skewed tire mark .

After my conversation with Penske it hit me how accurate bloomquist was with his tire control. So A: he is 100 times better a driver than the next best guy in our sport or b: they have a technological advantage no other team out there is using.

As far as drag racing goes its dead! Have you been to a local event at a drag strip lately?

And hell no I'm not gonna tell you what it looked like. Lol that's mine now.

If it's a conspiracy fine there should be no one against making the rules to stop what "no one" is using then right?

Should be a no brainier to take the step to prevent this overly expensive technology from causing more harm to our car counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
    Except that they've been in drag racing for 10 years. Either way, ya'll conspiracy theorists make me laugh. Brian--Remember when you said you could tell how he cut his right rear tire at the World because of "the marks it left in the track"? Care to tell us what it was cut like?
    Inerters are in drag racing. And the costs I have heard are insane!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

And believe me Penske wants to sell this to every racer out there. That's why they are being so quiet about it right now! They know it's too expensive and the series will outlaw it. As it should be .

It's the human element that makes racing competitive. When a mechanical system can rid the human element it needs to be taken out of the equation.

Systems like these will hurt the racing tremendously, think it's follow the leader now imagine what happens when the consistency increases 10 fold.
    Just like traction control was going to make everyone the greatest driver to hit the dirt track......

Yes it has been outlawed by Lucas oil series. Now will ump make a ruling?

And hell no I'm not gonna tell you what it looked like. Lol that's mine now.
    Ok, you sure? Want to put your observation skills on the line with your credibility? I'll bet you $500. Donated to charity, of course. You a fan of the shriners? I am...

All you had to do was stand next to the fence . You could take a pic of the tread pattern every lap. Prolly could have gotten a good read on the tire wear it was that perfect. But he doesn't do anything different to the blocks than the rest. I can tell you that.

I don't know what your point is but it don't matter now cause the FRIC has ended. And to me that's good news. I got the confirmation I needed. I know what's up. Now I know I don't have to work on creating it.

All you had to do was stand next to the fence . You could take a pic of the tread pattern every lap. Prolly could have gotten a good read on the tire wear it was that perfect. But he doesn't do anything different to the blocks than the rest. I can tell you that.

I don't know what your point is but it don't matter now cause the FRIC has ended. And to me that's good news. I got the confirmation I needed. I know what's up. Now I know I don't have to work on creating it.
    Well technically FRIC is only deemed illegal in its hydraulic form. A mechanical version could still be used.