Lightbulb Need shock advice

As a lot of you know already I am just getting into dirt racing. I bought a 98 GRT with 604. What are the best affordable shocks? There is presently a mix of afco and Carrara shocks on the car and I have no idea on the valving of them. The previous owner didnt have any set up sheets. I just can't see spending 2 to 4 grand on shocks until I get some seat time but want to know the specs of what I have under the car. As always thanks for all the help and I apologize for stupid questions.

i've always had good results from afco shocks - oil and gas, and they are very affordable. assuming you have some 13 series oil afcos i would start with those and find a shock guy. b & o racing shocks (336-789-6365) or shorty (865-456-4439) are great with afco. either of them can take what you have and make it what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by collateralDamage View Post
    i've always had good results from afco shocks - oil and gas, and they are very affordable. assuming you have some 13 series oil afcos i would start with those and find a shock guy. b & o racing shocks (336-789-6365) or shorty (865-456-4439) are great with afco. either of them can take what you have and make it what you need.
    ^^^^kenny smith at b&o is great with shocks especially afcos. 2nd to none in customer service and performance

I've found a set of afco shocks that brand new for almost nothing. But they are 16 series and everything I have found points to being sprint car shocks. Anyone used 16 series shocks on a late model?

A ron, 16 series weren't much good on sprint cars and they are definitely not going to work on a late model. i don't mean to be a wisenheimer but did you call kenny or shorty? what series afco shocks to you currently have?

I haven't yet. I've got a 1398-2T on the LR and 1373-5T on the RF. The other two are Cararras. Thats why I haven't contacted either of em yet. May see if they have a used full set they can revalue and sell me? And absolutely not man I appreciate all your help.

Aron ,ive had several grts my advise would be run what grt recommends for shocks and you'll be fine, with you being new I also recommend getting the book from grt. dirt late model technology. afcos I ran 1375-3 lf,1376 rf, 1394 rr and 1399-3 if its a underrail I didn't run a traction shock in front,

Thanks rak I purchased that book awhile back. Seems to have some good info. I found some good used shocks other than a 1399-3. May have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.