Thread: Rear ends?

Question Rear ends?

Iam new to crate racing. But was wondering if there is a special light weight rear end that people use in crate racin or does most people use a standard quick change? If so is it a noticeable difference? Or is there certain upgrades you can put in a standard to make as good? that for any advise. Pete

There are a couple ways to go. Winters has an 8" ring gear option, but in order to take advantage of it, you need to buy an entire center section as that ring gear won't work in a standard housing due to some internal machine work that is done to make it work. The other option is from DMI. They make a cut down 10" ring gear that is just slightly bigger than an 8". They weigh just touch more than the winters deal, but you can use it in a standard 10" housing with no modifications. Other than that, I run DMI hollow tube axles (lighter than gun drilled), 3/8 rotors, and lightweight winters hubs. Those changes saved me a considerable amount of rotating weight. Where you see the benefit will be starts, restarts, and corner exit if you are on a track with tight corners.

It's listed as 9", but it's smaller

Since you bring up rotating weight. Here is my theory. I run 1/2 mile high banked oval, a big momentum track. Yes I run the low drag bearings/seals. But if your running the big rotors, big brakes, standard axles,standard hubs. Wouldn't that help at a big track. Other than starts/restarts? I have always thought this but idk just a thoughtdidn't mean to hog the post here. We run 4.11 frankland

I guess you got me there. I'm not a dealer. I'm just going by the one sitting on my bench right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kwoods25,

You would be correct. On a bigger momentum based track, the only real gains made are during acceleration. The extra weight will help carry momentum when you are off throttle. The only benefits in that you would gain would be less wear on drivetrain with the lighter components, and your braking would be a touch more responsive.

lol... I'm really not going to get into a pissing match over it, and the shop is a little snowed in at the moment so I have no plans on going over there...

Bottom line is DMI has a set of gears that allow you to use your standard center over having to buy an entirely new center to accommodate an 8" ring gear.

When we get out of the negative degree temps, and anywhere near something where this crap will melt, I'll let you know