Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rocket bolt in underslung

any reason NOT not run the bolt in underslung bar on the right side of a 2010 blue/gray rocket ?
    Last edited by RacerX10; 02-13-2015 at 07:53 AM.

was wandering the same thing ive always had grt's or warrior overrail cars the rocket thing is new to me and heard good and bad about it, was hoping guys with rocket ex would chim in.

seems like stiffening up all that back there would be a good thing

The bolt in left under rail is mainly a drop limiter. They sell a eccentric that clamps to it to limit drop. as far as stiffening the tail it doesn't really change that in my opinion I don't feel it fits snug enough to effect the chassis in that manner.

There are some advantages to running it though.

all the others run limiter chain on left and right, rocket uses the lower bar to limit travel, ive heared removing the right helps on side bite and some said it does nothing but flex the car out and no help on side or forward bite

Drop limiter . Please explain . You want the left axle tube to hit the under slung and stop the drop ? I use my limiter chain (drop limiter) to help make adjustments to the car per track conditions . Also if the shock stops the rear end drop . Damage will take the shock out over time .

rocket uses a eccentric as brian said the rear bottoms out on it on the left rail which stops from over indexing the bird cage and bottoming out the shocks, cant say im a fan of it believe it lifts the left rear tire .

If the underslung bar lifts the tire, so would the chain.

^^^^ that's my thoughts also. Under rail would the lift the left rear up and chain would pull the left rear up. Same thing just two different ways to go about it

I have heard the "lifts the tire" thoughts over the years but no one ever could explain it so I never gave it another thought.

your right, bin using the ppm spring loaded chain limiter to try to cushion the blow but ya have to ingage it sooner so your total travel is not effected,sorta like a bump stop on the right front

So with the spring loaded deal, how do you know how much total travel you're getting? Is it the same on every turn of every lap? How far does that spring have to move until it coil binds? Does it have a progressive rate as it coil binds or does it go from 600 to dead stiff immediately?

Matt it depends on how you use it. I've tried it and the results in a nut shell. In the tack it's kinda cool while the car is rolled over as you gain traction it adds some steer . It softens the blow while getting back to the throttle.

We didn't change a lot of springs or really test it to maybe the extent because most the time it upset the car too much accelerating. Maybe a bump stop would be a better choice over a spring with more travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    So with the spring loaded deal, how do you know how much total travel you're getting? Is it the same on every turn of every lap? How far does that spring have to move until it coil binds? Does it have a progressive rate as it coil binds or does it go from 600 to dead stiff immediately?
    When I tried to do that deal years ago. It put an oscillation in the lr that was a big problem.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I asked Mark Richards about removing the right under slung. He told me that the car will turn in better if you leave it out.

thanks rocket1 ,was what I was looking for. mastersbuilt and brian ive had the same issue with the oscillation at times specially on ruff tracks but it still seemed to not beat up the lr. like everything theirs good and bad with both, i'm big on experimenting, was messing with daul stage spring setups five years ago also.

Rocket1
    I asked Mark Richards about removing the right under slung. He told me that the car will turn in better if you leave it out.

Are you saying to remove the right under slung bar completely? If so how does that make it turn in better?

Quote Originally Posted by Racerguy27 View Post
    Rocket1

Are you saying to remove the right under slung bar completely? If so how does that make it turn in better?
    I'll take a stab at it ...

Maybe it flexes the car like a sidecut snow ski ? They turn much better than the old style straight stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Racerguy27 View Post
    Rocket1

I'll also take a stab at it...
    Removing the under slung effectively allows the upper frame rail to flex more which would decrease spring rate felt at the wheel (wheel rate). Reducing wheel rate at the RR looses entry (helps it turn in).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    I'll also take a stab at it...
    Removing the under slung effectively allows the upper frame rail to flex more which would decrease spring rate felt at the wheel (wheel rate). Reducing wheel rate at the RR looses entry (helps it turn in).

ding ding, we have a winner